Thursday, January 17, 2013

New York, Day 7

Day 7 dawned a little bit more dreary than many of the days we'd had so far. Good thing we planned on sleeping in a little and only getting over to the Joseph Smith house.

We stopped by the Smith house to start the day, only to find that they had everyone out on tours at the moment, and it would be 20+ minutes before they got back. As the Blockburgers had to drive back to Michigan that day, we decided to run into Palmyra and see Alvin Smith's grave as well as take pictures at the 4 church corner. I had never heard of this before, but in downtown Palmyra, there's 4 different denominations on the same corner. It's not unique (if you've ever been to Page, AZ for example) but it reinforced the idea of Joseph Smith being confused because of the different churches.



Hey, we were at the old smith home.
 See the Palmyra temple in the fall leaves.
 We were together with the Blockburgers.
 The rest of these pictures come from driving through the Adirondack mountains. It was gorgeous up there, and unfortunately we started running out of daylight (and Adie was getting car sick from the windy roads). I definitely could have spent a couple days there taking pictures.








That night we stayed in Plattsburgh, NY. It was a quaint little town. We wanted to do laundry though (we had only packed enough for half the trip). So I ran down to Walmart to pick up a few groceries and get some quarters. Apparently though, Walmart won't give you quarters. I tried to get some at the check out and was refused. I tried to get some at customer service and was refused. I drove around looking for a car wash to get quarters and couldn't find one. Finally I headed back to the hotel in disgust, not sure of what I'd do next (we really were out of clean clothes and needed to do laundry that night). I asked the lady at the desk at the hotel and it turns out, they had quarters. I wouldn't have guessed. We then proceeded to do our laundry, but only to find that the dryer at the hotel didn't work super well and we had to stay up past midnight to get it done, plus dry some more in the morning. Even though it was a lot of work, it was the only way to get through our trip without a bigger car/more luggage.

No comments: