Thursday, January 17, 2013

New York, Day 6

New York Day 6

On the morning of Day 6, I hopped up early and headed down to the falls with my big camera. I'd left it at the hotel the night before because I didn't want to take it to the boat ride. I couldn't let my chance at photographing one of the wonders of the world pass me by. Here are a couple of the best ones.
 



I stopped taking pictures after about 30 because my battery died. This battery has been around for the better part of 15 years. It was the original battery to the camcorder Mom and Dad had a long time ago. It was my back up battery (having forgotten my original in my checked bag I left in Boston). So, we had to stop and purchase an overpriced battery from a camera shop in Rochester. Oh well. That's the price to pay for getting good pictures.

We headed into Palmyra and stopped at the Hill Cumorah visitor's center, where we were immediately accosted by anxious missionaries, glad to have someone to talk to. We waited for the Blockburgers to show up and wandered around and let the kids push buttons. After they joined us, we listened to the missionary's tour and then headed up the hill. Unfortunately, Sabrina chose to wear her slippery shoes that day and so couldn't push the stroller. That meant I got to do it the whole way. Such a blessing!

The leaves were changing, of course, and it was great to see it from the top of the hill.

 Afterwards, we ordered lunch at a pizzeria in town and headed over to the Grandin book shop. We go the tour of the place, though the kids were having a hard time by the end (still no food at this point). We picked up our food and headed over to the temple grounds where Shannon and Clark headed in to a sealing session and Sabrina and I wandered around watching the kids. We didn't lose any for more than a few minutes.






Afterwards, we headed over to the Sacred Grove. Admittedly, with 5 kids 5 years of age and younger (5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 if you're wondering), it wasn't quite as sacred when we were there. Sabrina had grand ambitions of having beautiful family pictures in the Sacred Grove. While it didn't turn out as well as hoped, there were still a few good shots.

I took 670 pictures this day, in part because I was playing with a new lens and wanted to get a feel for how to use the wide angle look. I took plenty of bad ones, but I did like how a few turned out.





Afterwards, we headed back to the hotel, for some swimming and sleeping. After the kids hit the sack, Sabrina and I slipped away to the temple for initiatories while Shannon watched the kids. It was a great place to visit, and it's amazing because it's the only temple I know (besides Nauvoo) with any sort of a window you can see out of. There's a big window that overlooks the Sacred Grove. Not that I could see it late at night, but still, it's the thought that counts.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I must admit I haven't read about your trip, but I have enjoyed looking through the pictures. How fun that you got to be with Jason's family. They look great...as do you 5!! I love the artistic pictures, but I think my favorite of the whole bunch is the one of Addie in this post at the end. What a gorgeous picture. I am so glad you're making these posts. I do love seeing you guys.