Friday, August 21, 2009

This is Love

Many of you know that Adie's security item is an old green shirt of mine. She must sleep with it and she uses it to comfort herself when she's upset. We have two back-ups just in case hers gets lost. She doesn't like them as much, but she'll take them in a pinch. The other thing she likes to do with her back-up green shirts is share them with others when they are upset or sleeping, because, of course, that's when she wants her green shirt. This morning, she discovered Chase sleeping without a green shirt so she promptly went to find one for him to sleep with. It's her way of saying, "I love you."


Yes, I know he's sleeping on his tummy. He loves it. I put him down for tummy time, and unless he's hungry, he'll just fall asleep rather than struggle and cry. He doesn't like to be swaddled (probably because it's way too hot around here) so frankly, if I am up and about, I don't mind him sleeping on his tummy. Does that make me a bad mom?

7 comments:

Jamie said...

That is so sweet. I just realized I don't think I wrote you and told you congratulations! He is beautiful - I would love some posts about how the sleeping, eating and adjustments (both you and addie) are going. I am so happy for you. And that does not make you a bad mom. I actually take issue with the whole "this is what you need to do with your child or he will surley die of sids" thing.

Sarah H said...

How sweet. It sounds like Adie is adjusting well.
No you're not a bad mom! I agree with the previous commenter on the SIDS thing. I think the most important thing a baby needs is breastmilk and love. I've looked at the SIDS pamphlets and they make it seem like unless your baby is sleeping alone in an absolutely empty crib without even a blanket he will die.

Nicole said...

No, definitely NOT a bad mom! You just have to check on him regularly, which I'm sure you do. I love that Adie is loving baby boy. Congratulations on having such an adorable family! Hope you are doing well with recovery and adjusting to 2 kids! ;)

Hoenes Family said...

Love the green shirt story! Funny what kids attach themselves too huh? Brooke is attached that fleece blanket I won at Bunko back in February! She won't sleep without it! You are not a bad mom. Kenzi slept on her tummy from 2 months old and on. I woke up like 8 times a night to make sure she was breathing, but that is the only way she would sleep. You do what you gotta do! There are 6 kids in my family and we were all tummy sleepers and we are ALL alive. Who knows really!

Cheryl said...

How sweet!! I put Elizabeth on her tummy all the time, it's the only way she'll sleep during the day. You gotta do what you gotta do! :)

Karen said...

Did I mention Davey has been sleeping on his tummy since just a few weeks old?? He sleeps soo much better that way! I wouldn't worry about it, especially if there's nothing loose around his face. Oh, and Adie is such a sweet big sister!

Laura Nielsen said...

He is sooo cute!! I am so nervous to have a third. I read you're comments about having a second child and think back to how it was having Emily and I am soo not ready. I only have 7 more weeks left and we still don't have a name picked out for our third unexpected little girl.