Friday, August 7, 2009

Had to Pass it Along



My friend just posted this BEAUTIFUL new Radiohead song to her blog (thanks, Al!) and I couldn't help but pass it along for two reasons: First, I love Radiohead (and among many exceptional songs, this is an extremely exceptional song) and second, I hate war. It's a song they wrote in honor of Harry Patch, the last surviving (and just recently passed away) British veteran of WW1. I especially love one of the lines of the song:

"Give your leaders each a gun and then let them fight it out themselves"

So poignant. Much of the time, war is determined by leaders who will never see the personal devastation soldiers, their families and the victims of war have to go through. If leaders have disputes, let them work it out amongst themselves. There are plenty of us who are content to live and let live in this world. Thank you, Thom York, for expressing that so eloquently.

You can download the song, and read more about the background behind it here.

Just for the record, I am not anti-military. I am all about self / national defense, but boy have we blown that idea way out of proportion in our modern world.

2 comments:

alisquire said...

Great post! I knew you'd like the song.

Speaking of music recommendations, I have a few more for you: I've heard a bit of Iron and Wine on Pandora and have liked what I've heard. Also, a friend recommended Bishop Allen to me and I like a lot of their stuff too. You can hear lots of their songs on YouTube.

Karen said...

Awesome song! Man, I love Radiohead! Amazing lyrics too...dang! (Is that enough exclamation points for ya?) :)