Sunday, August 23, 2009
Adjustment
How's the adjustment going? Um, it's rough. I won't go into details. Anyone that has gone through the newborn phase will know that it's tough, and it gets tougher when you have other kid(s) to watch too. That whole sleep when the baby sleeps goes right out the window most of the time. Then, there's the whole anxiety that Adie is getting neglected and feeling bad about that. Having my mom here for a week was wonderful. She's been gone 4 days and I think everyday has been a little harder than the last. Just a week and a half until my mother-in-law comes for a few days. I can't wait. I don't think I ever appreciated more than now how nice it is to live close to family. Not to say, our neighbors and ward haven't been great, because they have. I know we have plenty of support, but what I really need is someone who can be there at 6 am when Adie wakes up and I have just gone to sleep, finally, after being up with Chase for most of the night, or someone that can take Adie to the park or pool at the drop of a hat because she's getting restless. I know I can call people for help, but it's hard to know when Chase will actually sleep, which is when I need Adie gone, so I can get a nap. 2 or 3 hours a night of sleep really starts to take its toll. Anyway, don't mean to complain. We have a lot of blessings. We have a healthy boy and girl. We have so many luxuries in our life. Chase eats well and sometimes sleeps for 3 hours at a time. I know we'll survive. I just needed to write something down, because I can only cry on Brett's shoulder so many times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I'm still trying to work on some solutions to get you some help. I'll let you know what I figure out. Adie will be fine. Many kids have an adjustment when they have new siblings.
It really does work itself out. Kids are quite resilient and siblings are very important in many ways. The real solution is time. Sleep will happen again, and life will regain some sense of normalcy. The sad part is that the newborn grows up in the meantime. Enjoy how tiny he is. We're thinking of you.
P.S. It's honestly healthy to get it off your chest some times. :)
Been there honey. Cry it all out. we're here for you. Have Adie help you get Chase's diapers and wipes or blanket or clothes. It helps give attention to her while helping Chase. When Chase finally falls asleep don't be afraid to stick a movie on for Adie while you lay on the couch and get maybe 5 min. Those blessed 5 min might get you through the rest of the day. Good luck hon! ;)You're amazing!
We're in the same boat right now - Raya is just barely over 6 weeks, and Hannah (5) and Damian (2 last Monday) are having a hard time sometimes, too. She doesn't sleep well yet either, so I haven't been getting much sleep recently at all. What keeps me going is thinking about how fast they grow and how precious each moment is. You should come over and hang out with us in the middle of the night :) - we're in Utah though...
Bring Adie over!
been there - done that. I have no advice - sorry :( - other than that it will all change in the blink of an eye - you will sleep again. It sounds like you have a lot of support, I am happy for you, I suggest you use it - just think, you are helping people become more Christlike through service :)
I remember those days when all the helpers left and it was just me and the screamies. I wish I could give more than just my sympathy. Keep going, it'll get better soon (I know it doesn't seem that way now.) I agree that cartoons for Adie isn't bad when you need the sleep.
Oh, those first weeks are hard! Good luck. This time will pass. Adie will recover and find a new normal, even if you do neglect her a little. I think going from one to two kids is the hardest.
Oh Bean! I wish you guys were here...Adie could play with my girls all day! I am all for some cartoons/movies to get a needed nap. Oh and if you are up all night or day ...feel free to im me. :) I'm ALWAYS nursing, therefore ALWAYS online. :)
Good Luck! For me, I always read books to the older child while feeding the baby. Also, every ones nap/rest time revolved around when baby slept. Sometimes nap time is at 12:00 for the older ones and sometimes it isn't until 2:00. I just needed some time by myself to catch up. Adjust Adie's nap to baby's. That is all I have, my kids don't sleep ever... :) But now they are away more and I miss them.
Good Luck!
Poor Sabrina! I have no idea what that's like--I'm still worrying about just one. I know if anyone can do it, you can. I love you! Good luck!
What you wrote is EXACTLY what I have been fearing. When I told Dave about it and how I'm scared for being that tired because I remember how EXTREMELY tired I was those first few months with Bella, his response was, "Now why do women like to have more kids??" Ha! It's pretty much just surviving those first few months right and then knowing it will be awesome once everyone is sleeping and happy :) I'm watching a newborn and it's so easy with 2 BECAUSE I am not tired and can easily take care of both kids and not feel sleep deprived and wanting to just go to sleep all day. If only that were the case from the beginning with our own! Also, potty training is going really well so far but I want to call you and talk to you about details sometime if you don't mind. We're going out of town this weekend so maybe next week since that is when I'm going to try and stay home as much as possible to train her better. Will you email me your #? hgooch@ gmail.com
Sabrina I think you are amazing. I can't even imagine doing the pregnancy thing with another child, let alone having to take care of a newborn! You are superwoman so once you figure it out, I'm hoping you share your tips.
Wish I could be closer to help babysit.
Post a Comment