Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers Day (cheesy)

So I tend to wax sentimental from time to time. Tonight Sabrina and I were arguing whether Brad Rock (columnist for the Deseret News in Salt Lake City) looks like Ryan Shupe. I went to Ryan Shupe's band's website to try and get a better picture so we could make a comparison. While I was there, I noticed that they had just put on a benefit concert for another music artist who I've listened to occasionally, Paul Cardall. Apparently Paul has always struggled with heart problems and is going to die soon unless he gets a transplant. Anyway, it really is quite a touching story. A lot of people really have reached out and tried to help him. Reading his story really gave me pause though and made me think about how fleeting this life really is. We come into this life with nothing, and the only thing we take with us are our relationships and memories.

I have been greatly blessed in my life. I have a great family. They've been there to laugh with me, to listen to me, comfort me, and try to help me through life, good times and bad. My mother has been a source of great strength to me and to our family. My father passed away while I was on my mission for the LDS church and I was half a world away from everything. During the time I was on my mission I knew that things were not easy back home, but my mother made sure I didn't dwell on how hard things were at home, but rather did her best to stay up beat and encourage me. She's been a great mom, and always tried to balance bringing happiness and the spirit into the home while serving others and trying to balance life's worldly concerns. She sacrificed so much for my siblings and me. I really didn't understand (I really still don't completely know) how much she sacrificed until I've become a parent myself. I think she's amazing, she is an example of selfless service to me. If you need her, she'll be there.

The funny thing about life is that you grow up. You become the grown up. That means so much more than the fact that you get to be the one to drive the car, or that you can choose to eat out as little or as much as you're willing to spend your money. It means things like, I'm married. Sabrina is a mom to our family. I'm a dad. My parents seemed to be so much more grown up than I feel right now. I have to publicly admit that I'm terrible at planning things for Sabrina. For mother's day today, the best present I could think of giving her was to let her sleep in. I admit to not making her anything special. I didn't come up with some incredibly thoughtful gift, I bought her a thermometer so that she would know how hot it was outside. However, what I can say is that she is the absolutely most amazing person. She puts up with me. That in and of itself makes her deserve a gold medal in my mind. It's been 5 years now. I can't believe how the time flies. All I can say is that I couldn't have a better person by my side. And she makes some really good tin foil hats too.


Honestly who couldn't love someone who would try to dig their car out from under 2 feet of snow and drive to Idaho in a blizzard just to see me?

2 comments:

Clark said...

Not only did she try to dig out a car from 2 feet of snow to try and go see you, she remained optimistic that it would stop snowing (of which it showed no signs), the sun would come out, that 50 tons of snow between SLC and ID would melt, the roads would clear up and all would be well. Now that's devotion.

Sarah H said...

Awww, sweet Brett.
Your mom is great, and so is Sabrina!