
It's 9:15 and the little chica is still sleeping. Wahoo! We don't have to mention that she refused to go to sleep last night until about 10:30 pm, but we'll take the sleeping in. It gives me a little time to myself. Anyway...I have long thought the school yard phrase, "I hate your guts!" was a funny one. Number one, don't we each just have one gut (anyone who knows more about anatomy can correct me if I'm wrong on that)? Number two, why hate someone's digestive track (unless, perhaps, they throw up all over you, or something)? It would seem more appropriate just to hate the individual, but maybe hating "guts" is less mean. However, I digress again, as this is not the point of my post or said title.
I actually do kind of hate my gut right now. I have long recognized that my digestive track doesn't always function as a normal one ought to. I have never had serious problems, but little things here and there, of which I'll spare you the details, have made me sure I am not "regular" as they like to call it. There are many in my family who struggle with different types of gut issues, so this is not surprising to me. However, until recently, I still pretty much ate whatever I wanted and didn't worry about it. I like healthy foods, such as veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc, but I also indulge often in chocolate, refined sugar, ample amounts of cheese. You get the point.
Events of the last few days, again of which I'll spare you the details, have led me to the point where I know I need to change my habits fairly drastically. Surprisingly, many of these "events" aren't things that seem to have anything to do with the digestive track. However, I've been really into reading about homeopathy and natural remedies lately, which has been fascinating, enlightening and has really highlighted to me the fact that many of my little health issues can be attributed to problems in my gut. So many medicines and allopathic remedies are geared more toward fixing symptoms, rather than really getting down to the root cause. I think my gut is the root cause of many of my woes, so it's time to make some changes.
I sound all gung-ho, right? Well, I am anxious to get things cleared up, and don't worry, there is nothing seriously wrong with me, just a lot of little things I'd like to take care of. I am also anxious to find ways to be more healthy. However, a lot of these recommended changes are extremely difficult for me. I am sure some people wouldn't even flinch, but man, I love my food. Some of things I need to avoid eating are ALL refined sugars, milk products, including yogurt and my favorite - cheese, and bread products with yeast. Can I just say that all of those are main staples in my diet? I know it's sad that refined sugar is a staple in my diet, but let's be honest here. I hardly know what to eat or where to begin. I have tried soy milk in the past, but I can't deal with its after taste. I currently have a box of Rice Dream in the fridge, but still can't bring myself to try it. Pregnancy isn't a good time to be experimenting with foods you aren't used to. Also, I cook with a lot of cheese. Maybe I'm not creative enough, but when all else fails, just put some cheese on it. There are a few things I couldn't eat without cheese, like eggs. I am also trying to cut down on my meat consumption, which is something I've been doing for awhile (mostly substituted with cheese, mind you). I'm trying the eat meat sparingly thing.
So, I know my posts always end up being long and I bet most people don't finish them, but if you've gotten to this point and have any good suggestions on ways to make this easier, good recipes that are basically vegan, etc. I'd love to hear about it. I really want to perservere through this and make these changes because I think my body is just more sensitive to a lot of foods that others can eat without problems. I think it will be worth it in the end but will require some stamina and creativity. So, please, help!
14 comments:
So, I don't have any recipes for you, but in Feb. I went to my Gluten Intolerance Group meeting where there was a nutritionist. She really pushed protein and said that we should get 20 grams of protein per meal, but most importantly breakfast.
Anyway, another point she made (which you may not find applies to you) is that for those of us with Celiac/gluten intolerance who keep feeling sick or getting "reactions" she said to look where our cross contamination is in our kitchens/eating. There are all kinds of hidden sources of gluten and just things we do in our kitchens that we may not realize are affecting the meal that we thought was gluten free.
It could be that you really only have one issue, but there are small amounts of cross contamination of whatever you can't have that adds up. I don't know if that makes any sense. I can understand having to cut food out though, it can be very difficult. 98% of the time I'm fine with my diet, but there are times that I just cry and wish I didn't have this disease. Food is just so enjoyable and when you know how enjoyable it is, it's difficult to do without. Sorry that you're having "issues".
You may want to look into Ezekiel bread (good earth stores)...it has the scripture on the packaging and everything. I know it's gluten free, but I'm not sure if it's yeast free. Anyway, I'll stop now because this is getting too long!
So, I'm not big into homeopathy and I'd say the first sign of a balanced diet should be found in section 89. But if you are looking for a reasonable take on the kind of thing your talking about, you might consider finding a copy of "In Defense of Food" which I read recently and found interesting. (Not that I'd endorse it, but it might be helpful to your aims.)
Thanks, Karen. I knew you'd totally relate.
Ben, as far as section 89 goes, that's precisely where I am trying to come from - lots of veggies, fruits, grains and herbs for healing etc. It doesn't say anything in there about eating sugar, milk, cheese, etc. so I think I am still on track. There are lots of fad diets out there that are totally against the WoW. I've read a couple of pages of some of those books and put them away as soon as they said grain was bad, etc. I'll have to check out the book you suggested. I've heard of it before, but never read it.
Haha, oh I'm right there with you on cheese. I LOVE IT! I really try not to put it on every meal I eat but it always seems to find it's way on there. Not only that, my daughter has inherited it also, (probably from tasting it when she was in my tummy and then eating my milk). Is it a problem when she says every meal, "CHEESE, CHEESE!" because she wants mac and cheese?? Not good, ha. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if you want to make a cheesy meal, I made this Smoky Queso Carne Asada Pizza that i got from the website Picky Palate, yum! We had it last night. I get a TON of meals from her website and there are many healthy ones too, so check it out www.picky-palate.com. Do you like Butternut squash? If so, that vegetable is awesome and is sweet in of itself yet good for you, try that.
Hey, that picture is from my contest, isn't it?
Sounds like Matza sandwiches for you! But seriously, that is going to be a tricky diet change. But you can do it. Maybe you should consider Asian foods, they seem to have a lot of veggies, no dairy, and little to no meat. You could think of it as a cultural experience, as well as a change in diet.
Can I ask how you decided yeast messes with your system?
I totally know what you're going through. I have hated my guts for a long, long time. Not only does it mess me up in weird ways physically but emotionally as well. If I every want to have a nervous breakdown before church on Sunday, I just go out for ice-cream Saturday night. I will back Karen up on the Ezekiel bread though. For some reason I can eat it (in minimal amounts) I don't want to push my luck. - If I might add a side note that may be a little controversial. I have found the word of wisdom can be kind of like the proclamation on the family - as in some women end up having to protect and provide and some just end up having to eat more meat :)
p.s. I have put juice on my cereal since I was a kid, just be careful which kinds:)
Oh man Bean, I could go on and on about alot of this stuff, but you know that. ;) Just IM me sometime, and I'll tell you what I've found to help with my IBS. As for bread, I eat a TON of it, and I think it's partly because it's homemade that makes a big difference. Most 100 percent whole grains still are missing the germ, and that can make a big difference. Also, I can handle my huge milk addiction a lot better when I'm consistently taking probiotics (or even better, prebiotics.) Anyway, there is hope, but in my opinion refined sugar is the worst gut irritant of all. There's hope with that too, but I better not start here. :) Good luck !
Ok, so this is your mother, and of course I'm a bit concerned. Be careful because you wrote about not taking prenatal vitamins either. When I was your age I stopped drinking milk for a couple of years. That's when I started getting cavities (once I started drinking milk, I haven't had a cavity in years). I think that's also when I got my osteopenia. I ate lots of tofu, spinich, etc... but I didn't get enough calcium... so be careful!
A follow up on my comment from last night. I found that cheese (a least if I eat too much) can do a number on my system, but milk really doesn't. What I've learned it that for me it's the fat in cheese. The best thing for me is to avoid fats and lots of whole wheat. Love ya.
Oh dag nabbit, I don't know where to start. This is a subject that I am far too passionate about to write a short comment. How many suggestions, recipes, conspiracy theories, and book recommendations do you REALLY want?
At any rate: I hope you're feeling better soon!
Maybe I'll come back to the comments page and bare my testimony about being vegan later when it's not so late and I can actually organize my thoughts. =)
Hey Sabrina,
I've been thinking about these things too. I have a lot of respect for vegeterians and I would like to be one but I don't know if I could commit. So I'm trying to eat meat sparingly as well.
But it's hard not to just replace it with simple foods and cheese and stuff.
I don't think I could ever be vegan, but I do think that is the healthiest life style. Just like I know refined sugars are also but but I can't stop making desserts (bon appetit doesn't help, right?)
Hey Sabrina,
My children and I have food sensitivities, that seem to come and go. When they are little and I am nursing they are very sensitive to anything dairy. So I went completely milkless etc. for awhile. (I had to give up chocolate when Jacob my four year old was nursing, and milk with Dylan my two year old). Anyhow, here are my favorite things:
Try hazelnut milk or almond milk, yummy. I like it on my oatmeal.
Tofutti key-lime ice-cream sandwiches
Vegan cheese is ok, but it still might have lactose in it from other sources so be careful. It depends on what is bothering you if it will work for you or not.
Bobs Red Mill has a whole series of grains and mixes. You can order from them on-line and they will deliver to your house.
Salsa and corn chips are a good treat.
Ohh, try coconut rice. There are many variations but replace 1/2 the water in rice with coconut milk and add some lemon grass while steaming (remove before serving) yummy with mango-chicken.
Here is a great recipe for muffins:
Combine in large bowl
1 1/3 C hard white wheat
2/3 C pinto beans
1/3 C soy beans
1/3 C barley
2/3 C lentils
1/3 C rye
1/3 C rolled oats
Grind in grain mill to create ... Lembas flour
* The wheat and other gluten containing grains can be exchanged for rice.
Then it's muffin time!
2 C freshly ground Lembas flour
3/4 C white sugar (can sub. 1/2 C honey to wet ingredients)
1 Tbs. double acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. nonfat dry milk powder (can be omitted)
2 Tbs. egg white powder (or use two fresh eggs)
1 1/3 C frozen blueberries
1 1/8 C water
1/3 C olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare muffin tins. Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients in large bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Batter should be lumpy. Spoon roughly 1/4 C batter into muffin tins (If you have little muffin tins use about 2 Tbs.) Bake 20 to 25 min, or until a toothpick that is inserted comes out clean.
By Shirley's Kitch'N'Pantry
I use Lembas flour in pancakes too about 1:3 ratio with whole wheat. I also use it straight but adjust liquids accordingly. It has a beany smell when raw but it mellows when cooked.
Post a Comment