Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Arachnophobia

I just went outside to our backyard to measure the dimensions so we could start a little landscape planning. I had Adie come out with a few toys so she could get some play time in while I worked. I began measuring the patio and the measuring tape seemed to have awoken a sleeping black widow that was hiding just underneath a small lip near the base of our house. I immediately shooed Adie back inside and called for our first pest control service. They are coming tomorrow at 3 pm. I am so arachnophobic. I can't get the creepy crawly feeling out of me. I keep thinking I am going to see black widows pop out all over our house. Ahhhh! We found out just after we moved out of Provo that the new tenants in our apartment found a black widow the day they moved in. We had never seen one, or I think all our neighbors would have heard me scream bloody murder. They are so disturbing to me. I was even going to post a picture of a black widow with this post to make it a little more interesting, but I couldn't bring myself to put it up. The image kept creeping me out too much. That is one of the main down sides to little to no snow - more nasty creepy crawlies living around you (although I do realize black widows live in colder climates too, but lots of other things, like scorpions don't).

6 comments:

Clark said...

I really like reading this post and pretending that it really is Brett writing it!

Sabrina said...

That is funny. I didn't even notice Brett was signed in. Oh well. I guess the world can think he's the arachnophobic one.

Shannon said...

That is so scary! I am not usually afraid of most spiders, but black widows are another deal. So glad you didn't post a picture of one!

Karen said...

AHHHHH!

Karen said...

I'm fascinated by spiders, and I went through a stage of really reading alot about them. Don't ask, I'm odd. We found a black widow before we moved in our current home, and I think that sorta started it. There are other spiders, insects and creatures ( like lizards) that will compete for living with the black widows and destroy them. (Sometimes pest control won't kill all the really nasty spiders.) Oh and all my cats would kill them and keep us pretty spider free. :)

Brian said...

Hate to break it to you, but now that you live in the Sonoran desert you'll probably be seeing a lot of them. I had a tally going in Hermosillo...I killed over 20 in about 3 weeks. Seen any scorpions, centipedes, or sun spiders yet? I don't really mind any of them except the centipedes...they're fast, very hard to kill, and once they get over 8 inches long they're pretty freaky.