Today was such an awesome day. We had multiple breakthroughs. First, I have felt as normal as ever today. I actually felt pretty good all weekend, but today, I really felt good, after only 7.5 hours of sleep. Usually, with this pregnancy, less than 8 or 9 hours is killer for me. I think it's almost safe to say I am on to the feel good phase of pregnancy. Hallelujah!
The next breakthrough is probably my favorite. Adie only had one incident the whole day where she didn't use the potty to go to the bathroom. I said in a previous post that I am being as laid back as I can about the potty training thing. Well, last week, whenever I asked Adie if she wanted / needed to use the potty she almost always said no. However, while we were on vacation over the weekend, it's like something clicked. I would go to the bathroom, or she'd see a toilet, and ask to go to the bathroom. I wasn't even going to attempt any training over the weekend, but she took the lead. I think that's maybe what she wanted all along. Anyway, today, she kept indicating she needed to use the potty, or she'd use it any time it was offered to her. The only time she had a miss is after I had put her down for her nap. She had gone before I put her down, so I didn't worry about it, but I put on a pull-up just in case. I left her to fall asleep, and then the dirty deed was done. However, I am thoroughly convinced that had I been around she would have told me she needed to go and she could have gone the entire day without any soiled under garments. I have no idea how permanent this is so I am not going to declare her fully potty trained by a long shot, but wow, this is a huge step in the right direction and a lot sooner than I expected it. Yay!
My final breakthrough was actually something I realized a few weeks ago, but I am now seeing the results and am going to officially call it a breakthrough. As many of you readers know, I struggled with acne for a while, and it didn't respond to any treatment I tried. It became especially severe right after Adie was born. After weaning her, I took some fairly potent medication that really helped and I discontinued it last summer to start using milder medication in preparation for hopefully welcoming another child into the world. Upon becoming pregnant, I continued mild medication and it seemed to be keeping everything under control, until a few weeks ago. All of the sudden some acne started coming on, more than I had since I weaned Adie. I wondered why it decided to pop up all the sudden, and I decided to see if anything had changed that could have caused it. That's when I figured it out. I had been a slacker about taking my prenatal vitamins and only a few weeks before had been taking them regularly. I did a quick internet search to see if prenatal vitamins were the cause of anyone else's acne. As it turns out, I found a lot of people attributing them to acne. I decided to stop taking them and see if it would help clear up my acne. Sure as shootin', here I am a few weeks later with my skin clear again and the only change I made was stopping the prenatals. I am pretty much 100% certain that is what caused my horrible acne from my last pregnancy and post pregnancy. I do admit, I didn't have the clearest face before I got pregnant with Adie, but part of that I think was untreated problems that arose from living in Puerto Rico. My skin didn't react well to the humidity. (I never struggled with acne as an adolescent. It basically appeared on my mission). I never got it fully treated after my mission because I got married so soon after returning and didn't want to take any serious medications because of the complications that can happen if you do become pregnant. Anyway, really long story short, I think a major factor in my acne problems is prenatal vitamins, so I don't take them and I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies, and foods high in folic acid, iron and calcium. It turns out there are a lot of fortified cereals that help out with that.
So, it's really been quite a good day. Let's hope this good streak continues!
5 comments:
Hmm, that's interesting about the prenatals. Some vitamins like D act like a hormone in the body, so it's very possible taking them is only throwing off your already off balance hormones! Doh, gotta love pregnancy. If you want to take anything, I would suggest a high quality Omega 3 vitamin. Good luck, glad you had some breakthroughs.
Isn't it great when you have little "aha" moments like these. :) They make life so interesting and great. I'm glad you are doing well!
These are some EXCELLENT breakthroughs! I'm so glad to hear about all of them, but especially the acne (or rather the lack thereof). What a blessing to have that gone! And weird that the prenatals did it. . . good thing you sleuthed it out.
Way to go Adie (in more ways than one!)
Exciting stuff! congrats on all the breakthroughs!
Post a Comment