Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Highly Excellent

Man, you readers are so fabulous. Every time we solicit advice we get so much. Thank you! I love reading opinions and advice. The jury is still out on the pet, but you'll definitely know if we end up with one.

Anyway, on to this post...When I make something new for dinner I always ask Brett what he thinks of it. I like to figure out what works for him and what doesn't. He's not afraid of being honest with me, which I appreciate, so I can improve. I have noticed, though, that there are a lot of foods / dishes that I absolutely love and don't really appeal to him all that much. Don't get me wrong, he'll eat almost anything I cook, but it's not always something he hopes I'll make again. Of course, this works both ways because there are some recipes he loves that I would be fine never eating again. I am sure this is quite common as we all have different tastes. I don't think we've found too many dishes that we both just absolutely love, so I just make a mix of things I really like, he really likes, and Adie really likes (although one day she'll eat something and the next day she won't so that's a hard thing to pin down).

Usually, when I ask Brett if he likes the dinner he says, "It's good, but if you did...I'd like it better," which means, upon improvement, he could really, really like it, or he responds, "It's fine," which means he probably would prefer not to have it again. Last night, however, I made some beef quesadillas with left-over shredded roast beef and when I asked what he thought he said it was "highly excellent." This kind of response is so rare that it has merited its own blog post. Not only that, but I thought it was highly excellent too (and I am not super big into beef). Yes, I know beef quesadillas don't really fall into the meat sparingly or non-cheese categories I am striving for, but we're taking baby steps and I have done a lot better, for the most part (just keep me away from Cadbury Mini Eggs, those cursed things!). For the record, Adie wouldn't touch hers, so I am not sure if she'd really like it or not, but since she's 2 I am not ruling it out for her yet.

I was going to post the recipe, but I am pretty sure most people can figure out a quesadilla. I put lots of meat and cheese (cheddar and monterey jack blend), as well as diced tomatoes and green onion on Brett's. I put a lot less meat and cheese (part skim mozzarella), with diced green onion (I don't like tomatoes too much) on mine, and then inserted lots of shredded cabbage after cooking into mine. I heated and browned them in a skillet with Pam until they were ooey gooey and beautifully brown. I cut them into wedges and served them with sour cream as a dip. I am sure you could also use salsa and guac as dip too. Anyway, they were super easy and super good, highly excellent, you might say.

2 comments:

Em said...

Congratulations on finding something you both find highly excellent!

And one of these days I really will email you back! =)

Sarah H said...

Cadburry mini eggs...yes, they are evil.