Tis that time of year.
41-17
BYU emerged victorious at home once again. A few thoughts from the game:
- BYU's offense is incredibly potent. If a team tries to shut down one aspect of the offense, look for another area of the offense to have a stellar day. NIU focused in on shutting down Harvey Unga. It worked, sort of. Harvey only ended up with an OK day where Dennis Pitta became college football's leading receiver for a week. Pick your poison.
- NIU would probably hang with or beat half the teams in the MWC. I think that's kind of a sad statement. There's really a lot of distance between the top and the bottom of the MWC. With 85 scholarship athletes, I think you should be able to field a team that's better than a team with 67 scholarship athletes. I mean, look what USC gets with their 105 scholarships (including bribes, early pay offs by donors, etc...)
- If BYU holds on to the ball and takes it away once or twice at Washington, they will cruise to a victory.
- I have mixed feelings about the scheduling of lower division teams. I really think it was good for BYU to have some game speed experience going into the Pac-10 portion of its schedule. Really helped settle some nerves and highlighted some areas of focus for practice this week without it contributing to a loss.
- BYU has a LOT of good players on offense. I kept expecting people like O'neil Chambers and J.J. DiLuigi to get in on more plays, but there's so much talent ahead of them it's crazy.
- The defense is pretty good. We need more experience. I was a little disappointed we couldn't get more pressure on the quarterback (besides the fact that he had to leave the game 3 or 4 times). The pressure got there late. I think there was one, maybe two sacks. Our D-Line needs to get more of those, especially against teams like NIU, and in the future, CSU, UNLV, USU, etc...
Overall it was an enjoyable game to watch. BYU just has such an effective offensive machine when it's in sync. There were multiple 6 or 7 play, 70 yard drives that occured in less than 3 minutes, and that's with the new rules designed to speed play up. Anyway, onwards and upwards. Time to take out Washington.
2 comments:
Few comments of my own I'd like to share.
1. HOLD THE BALL! 2 fumbles 5 yards away from a TD and one INSIDE THE END ZONE! Granted we still scored double what they did, it just could have been a LOT more.
2. Hit harder! Seriously, if you lay out a guy four times in a game, he ought to be carried out on a stretcher and NOT be able to play until the end of the game. Maybe lucky number 13 is just super human? I don't know.
They better learn to hold on to the ball or their gonna have serious trouble come Utah, TCU, and UCLA. Glad to see that UCLA knocked off Tennessee. Let's hope for the best next weekend. I agree though that this weekend shouldn't be too incredibly tough. But, to reiterate... HOLD ON TO THE BALL.
Post a Comment