Somehow my crazy friend Brian had talked me into hiking Mt. Timpanogos with him. We're both fairly avid photographers (as is Brian's wife Emilie). The idea was that we'd get lots of really cool pictures.
By the time I met up with Brian and left his house, it was 2:42 am. We arrived and commenced hiking. I don't know how many of you have done night hiking before, but it's quite a different experience. It really distorts how far you think you've gone. We hiked for more than an hour and our GPS said we had only gone 1.2 miles (though we think the GPS was lying to us). Then we hit the switchbacks, which really weren't nearly as bad in the dark. You couldn't see how many you'd done or how much further you had to go. And by that point my mind had mostly shut off again, so I didn't pay much attention.
We made it to the lake up there just as dawn was beginning. We took pictures for 20 minutes and moved on. Our plan had been to make it to the top of Timp by sunrise. We came short of that, but were on the saddle area of the ridge when the sun came up.
We made it to the top shortly there after and spent a good while on our way back down taking pictures. The colors were beautiful, and also saw a few mountain goats. I'll post one picture today here on this blog, and will post many more over on my photo blog in the next day or two.
6 comments:
I love night hikes!! That picture is beautiful. Rich says it looks like a puzzle.
Beautiful! Better take in all the fall you can get because you will definitely be missing it next year ifyou guys are in Tucson!
Hee hee, thanks Sabrina. I have no problem hearing your issues with Kobe. I can tell that you know what you are talking about!
Now, you know you're getting old. In the days of your youth you never would have made the mistake of going to bed if you were getting up that early.
thanks for going with us! it was a blast and I'm excited to see all your pictures! when you guys move I have no idea who we are going to convince to do stuff with us at these insane hours of the night. =(
The GPS could very well have been lying to you. In the event of hit or miss reception, the unit only sporadically knows where you are, and so makes straight line approximations for sections where you were "off the radar" so to speak. Given the mountainous nature of the hike, this is likely to have occurred, and the unit assumed to walked straight up the mountain, rather than zigging and zagging your way.
Post a Comment