Whew, 3 posts in one night, that is very atypical of me. Why so many, you ask? Because tonight is Starcraft night for Brett, which means I need to entertain myself and blogging sounded like fun, which it rarely has recently. Anyway, on with the post...
I am very sentimental about people. I really cherish my relationships with family and friends. I am sure I am not alone in this, but I may be a little more obsessed with it than the average person. I get really stressed about not showing people I care about them, even people I haven't seen in years and may never see again. In fact, the thought of probably not seeing most people I get to know again is really, really sad to me. That is always the hardest part about quitting a job for me. I know I'll probably not see people I got to know pretty well again, even if we promise to keep in touch. It's so hard to really keep in touch and when your circle of family, friends and acquaintances continues to grow, as is natural in life, it gets harder and harder to keep in touch.
The reality that we are moving in the near future, and leaving behind so many people I'll probably never see again, or see on rare occasion when we're all in the same town for a holiday, is starting to set in. I am so excited to move on to our next phase of life and I feel really good about our decision to go to Tucson, but I know I will struggle leaving Utah behind. There are soooo many people here that I love. I don't even see many of them much, if at all, anymore, but it's comforting to know I probably could (without driving long distances or getting on an airplane) should the occasion arise.
It is also setting in that in that short amount of time there are so many people I want to spend time with before we go should we not get to do that again. I'm sure I won't get to see everyone, and I'd be lucky to see even a majority of the people I want to say goodbye to in person. This makes me really sad, but I know this is just a reality of life. I just want to throw out to the great expanse of the Internet that if I knew you, even only somewhat well, I have probably thought about you since and wish you well. I hope I get to run into you at a reunion, grocery store, random friend get together, etc.
I also feel I have been somewhat of a slacker to my friends and acquaintances close-by. Many have recently had a new baby or I've had the thought that I should call them or go on a walk with them. Most days I don't though. I get caught up in the mundane and then weeks fly by and I haven't done anything to acknowledge that I was thinking of them. I need to be better, because letting people know I care is something really important to me. I think it's so important to me because I love it when someone does that for me.
This bring me to the next point of my sentimental-ramble-that-most-of-you-aren't-reading-by-this-point-and-has-really-turned-more-into-a-journal-entry-or-something: It is for the aforementioned reasons that I love blogs. I feel like I am still in touch with people. I know at least somewhat about what's going on in their lives, and they can read about what's going on in ours (or at least our feelings on politics and sports with an occasional picture in the mix). I feel even better about it if I let them know I acknowledge their existence by commenting. However, having google reader has made me lazy about leaving comments, so again I will leave this out in the great Internet expanse that if your blog is listed on our blog, I definitely read your blog. I am sorry I probably haven't left a comment lately. I just don't feel like clicking out of reader to do it. And, if your blog doesn't appear on our blogroll it is probably because I don't know your blog exists, again because I don't click out of google reader to see others' blog lists, like I used to in my pre-reader days.
In short, I love you, readers. I sincerely apologize if I have been less than a committed friend, but as I stated at the beginning, you all probably have a better handle on the concept that you can't stay really well in touch with everyone all the time. In the mean time, I'll try to be a little better about showing I care to those I can. Take care, y'all!
10 comments:
I LOVE YOU Sabrina!! :) Google reader has made me lazy too, so I've been trying to make a greater effort to comment on people's blogs so they know I read them. When are going to Tucson? We will miss you guys too--we are such lazy neighbors! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
gotta love the technological age, and Google Reader. I just get frustrated with those blogs that are "protected" so you can't add them.
Y'all? I guess Tucson is closer to Texas than I thought. . .
You really are an amazing friend, and I'm so glad that we've stayed friends for such a long time. And don't worry, I'm pretty sure the B's will be down to see the M's in their new home. And the Grand Canyon is halfway between St George and Tucson. . . I'm just saying. . .
How sweet. Hopefully we can still keep in touch. I like blogs too, but what are your thoughts on Facebook/MySpace? I'm anti.
I totally feel the same way. I had the hardest time moving away from Utah and knowing that I would never be in the same type ward that we were in with just young married couples. So enjoy it while it lasts! I had a really hard time when we moved here getting use to the change and also the change in weather. You will LOVE the winters in Tucson, however you will miss the falls in Utah like CRAZY!
Freakin' awesome post, and I am reminded (again) of why I admire you so much! I'm not so good about putting myself "out" there, but it's vital for human relationships! Your freakin' awesome, and even though I don't see you that much, just knowing you are farther away is seriously gonna suck. :(
Well Sabrina, since I have secretly been reading your blog for a little bit now, I guess this is a good time to "come out" so you can check mine out too! I've always felt that you were so friendly and cared about people's lives (I especially noticed when you were in RS pres.)Even though I don't see you much you really make me feel cared for so thank you!
We love you guys too! We will miss you when you go, but we will keep in touch. When do you leave?
Oh, sad.
We missed having yall over. Are you making it tomorrow?
Oh shoot. Shannon will make fun of me for saying yall. I saw her post right after I posted mine. But I'm from Florida, so I can say whatever the heck southern thing I want to say.
Post a Comment