I was listening to John Mayer's song "Say" today (I love that song and find it tragic that it's so overplayed). I was really thinking about some of the lyrics: "It's better to say too much than not to say what you need to say." I don't know whether I agree or disagree with this. Are some things really better left unsaid? Do you miss opportunities to express important things if you hold thoughts back? I have yet to make that determination for myself on exactly how I feel about this. I'd like to know, faithful blog-readers, what you think on this subject and why. I feel like a thought-provoking discussion is in order.
9 comments:
yes things are sometimes left better unsaid, especially when it comes to employment and your boss.
Otherwise, I say let loose
Well, this is a tricky question. Sometimes you don't have to say something for someone to know--and words will just not be enough anyway. But, some people just don't get it! So you really need to say it--and if you have to say a ton for them to get it, GO FOR IT! Anyone who knows me well knows that I hate it when people leave things unsaid. People should say their opinion (in a kind way of course).
I think it is important to note that this is not a question of whether or not you should say a lot, or say a little. Clearly there is an ideal amount of saying that is appropriate for any given situation. If we could all hit that ideal level of talking, life would be great. But the issue here is whether to err on the side of saying too much, or too little.
I don't know this song, but I'm guessing that the statement is made with respect to love or personal relationships at least, not business or the kid taking your order at Burger King.
Now that I've clearly defined the parameters of my comment, I agree with the statement. Better to say too much than too little. I've had experiences where I wish I'd said more, but almost none where I wish I'd shut up. Of course, my agreement and that statement may be more of an indication that I habitually under talk, rather than over. Blast! This topic is too vague to have a simple answer. (Have I over talked this yet?)
I think sometimes things are best left unsaid. Sometimes saying too much can make a situation worse.
I agree with Clark in that there is some perfect middle ground. I think Ben and I are on complete opposites of the spectrum on this. Betcha can't guess who is where ;) I'm working on getting more toward the middle ground.
I agree with Al, saying too much can make things worse. Of course, I generally don't say enough, so the advice to err on the side of saying too much is probably actually really good for me, in that it would help me to talk more. So I guess it depends on the person. I mean, honestly, aren't there some people in this world that you think need to say less? And some people that you wish would speak up more?
I'm one of those people that needs to say less, but sometimes it's good because it encourages talking from those who don't talk as much. So basically depends on the situation. Honestly, I can't believe I don't have anything else to say about this! ;)
If I were on the receiving end, I would much rather someone say too much so I could know their true thoughts/opinions even if it hurt my feelings. If I were doing the talking, I'm not as certain but still leaning towards better to say too much because it sucks looking back wishing you had done/said more.
Get it out there.
Unless you are being rude. But some people consider blunt honesty even in necessary situations as rude, which I disagree. Some people need to wake up from dilusions.
Post a Comment