Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Love-Hate Relationship with American Idol

Many of you know American Idol is one of my guilty pleasures. I've actually tried to give it up and it just keeps sucking me back in, but I don't know why. I love it, but I hate it. I especially have a hard time watching the audition episodes. This is most people's favorite part of the series but I really dislike it sometimes because the judges can be so cruel to people who honestly think they can sing decently. It probably does most of them good to have someone tell them that singing should just be a hobby for them and to not utilize more of their time trying to make it a profession, but do they have to do it so heartlessly. Yes, Paula and Randy generally break the news a little softer than Simon, but they have their moments of cruelty as well and I think they've gotten meaner over the past few years. I will concede that they are nice some of the time, especially when they are aware of a delicate situation. Also, I don't mind them being harsh to the people that do ridiculous antics just to get on television. They know they aren't getting through. In any case, I don't particularly love watching anyone make a fool of themselves on national television, whether they're doing it on purpose or not.

The part I do enjoy about American Idol is listening to the truly talented people sing. I have mentioned previously my love for music, so I am naturally drawn to a show focused on music. I tend to like the episodes after the Hollywood auditions better because you get to see the real talent (usually, unless they pick someone for a marketing ploy). The judges do throw some unnecessary barbs in there occasionally, which I still don't like, but it's better than watching people who never should try out to begin with embarrass themselves. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind constructive criticism, but laughing at someone who is honestly trying or telling them they are "hideous", or some other nonconstructive word, is never appropriate in my opinion.

All that said, I continue to watch, even the audition episodes. It's even worse now that we have DVR. Before, if I missed an episode, oh well, but now, I have no excuse and I give into the temptation every time.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I agree with you. Except I don't really follow Idol that much. I enjoy the talents, but the auditions, and judging gets to me, so I don't end up see much of it at all.