Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Holiday Recap

Is it too late to tell everyone how the holidays went? I haven't been in much of a blogging mood lately. Christmas really burnt me out and then I had a sick child for a while. Besides we're still dealing with what are becoming normal sleep issues though I am feeling pretty good again and ready to get back into action.

The holidays really started for us on the 22nd. I went up to meet some friends for breakfast, a tradition we've done every Christmas for a while now. It's always good to catch up with them. Of the 5 of us in attendance, 4 are pregnant. No, I'm not making an announcement. I was the odd (wo)man out and that is just fine with me :) I can tell you, though, that we've never had a conversation so centered on pregnancies and babies before.

(Ah oh, I just heard ripping coming from Adie's room. Better go check that out. Ahhh, I carelessly left my Spanish Book of Mormon I was reading to her on the floor of her room. I should have known better. It's just one page and repairable with tape. That will look really nice!)

Ok, back to Christmas-time...Saturday night we watched the Las Vegas Bowl with some of Brett's siblings. It was a very exciting game and Adie was very well-behaved. I took her back to my mom's place early though to put her to bed and since my mom doesn't have cable we listened to the 4th quarter on the radio and couldn't believe the outcome.

The next day was probably my favorite day. Brett and I went to the Music and the Spoken Word while my mom watched Adie. It was nice to have a little date and as I've said in previous posts, I love, love, love the MoTab, especially at Christmas-time. All the songs were amazing, but I was especially moved by the Wexford Carol and Oh Come All Ye Faithful. We later went to church with my mom and step-dad. It was just hour-long church, which is nice to have every once in a while. Then, later that afternoon, Brett, Adie and I went to Temple Square to see the lights, hence the new header to our blog. Adie was enthralled with the lights. We got a lot of great pictures, but they are all in a format I'd have to change and I don't feel like it right now, so you just get that one. After Temple Square we headed to Brett's sister's house for fondue. Mmmmmm! We decided to make it a family tradition to do fondue every Christmas. Sweet!

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were spent going back and forth from my mom's house to Brett's sisters house so we could enjoy Christmas with everyone. We had lots and lots of good food, tons of presents and played lots of games. The going back and forth was kind of tiring though. Normally, we go to Idaho one year and stay here for another, so we're not used to sharing, but Brett's mom came down and we thought we'd take advantage of trying to see everyone. I don't know how people do it whose families live close together so they always share. It was pretty hectic.

The highlight of Christmas day was Adie already figuring out that you don't sleep in. She decided to wake up at 4 am and not go back to bed. I guess she is already in on that Santa thing. Mom was not at all happy (see previous posts for explanations of being cranky without sleep), but by 6 am we were all up and started opening gifts.

The day after Christmas we headed back to Provo, unpacked, did laundry and cleaned before heading off to the Brick Oven for dinner with friends. Most of us came back to our place for hot chocolate and games. We didn't end playing games, as Brett and Brian spent their time on Photoshop while the rest of us talked, but it was a good time.

The next day was Christmas II with my dad who had to work on Christmas. We met him at my grandparents' place in Alpine. We spent a few hours together, opened gifts, talked and then went to the Holdman House to see their awesome light display. I am so glad we went after Christmas though. I heard there was quite the line before, but we went right in. It was really fun to see.

The 28th is when the fun really began. We headed down to St. George for a family reunion / late Christmas party and on the way there Adie threw up. She caught the nasty bug that everyone is getting. At the time we thought it was just mucous draining into her stomach since she had a little cold and had been sitting up in her carseat for so long. But, when the nastiness just kept coming once we were in St. George we knew is was worse than that. As you may have read in an earlier post, Adie got everyone sick, including many of my family because we shouldn't have taken her to the reunion (to our credit, she had been seeming better and was acting just fine). Brett actually did manage to escape without catching it, which was nice because he could watch Adie while I recovered. By New Year's Eve we were all feeling at least well enough to play games until midnight and have a toast of Martinelli's to the new year. However, my brother and his wife, who were celebrating with us that night, got home from St. George and promptly starting throwing up too.

It took Adie a few more days for her to recover than the rest of us and ended up with an ear infection to top it off, but things are pretty much back to normal. I don't even know what her sleep schedule is supposed to be now though since it got all messed up from vacations and sickness, but hopefully, we'll get that sorted out soon. All in all, it was a great holiday break. I am glad to be back to a more normal routine though. I start to miss that after a little while. I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday as well and that the new year has started off well!

7 comments:

alisquire said...

Doesn't it seem like everything always hits at once? Poor Adie. I'm glad you guys are feeling better.

Kristen said...

You're a wonderful woman, with a lot on your plate. You handle it all so wonderfully. You're right having two families close together is very tricky. But having multiple Christmas's isn't so bad I guess huh? I hope Adie feels better.

Lauren said...

I never even heard about the Holdman House! That's amazing! I looked it up.... :-D Hope everything's going well for you now and sleep schedules get back to normal for you!

Karen said...

Whew...that sounds like fun, but I'd definitely want to get back to a "normal" routine. Then again, I'm lazy. :P

Stephanie said...

I love the holidays too, but I know what you mean about getting back to a regular schedule. I am a lot more motivated now with my day-to-day stuff than I was before the holidays hit. Having a fresh start every year gets me excited!

Sarah H said...

Fun to hear about your Christmas! Hope you're all feeling well and getting back to routines now. Travel and holidays really can mess up routines, which is my excuse why the boys didn't sleep through the night the first year: we took 4 airplane and one long car ride trip.
Adie turns one pretty soon, doesn't she? She's sure cute. I love the new header picture.

Em said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you spent so much of your holiday vacation sick! I can't believe how much you guys crammed in while you weren't puking! Sounds like fun, and sounds like getting back to a normal routine should be fun too.

We actually haven't gone to Ikea yet for this room revamp. The last time I was there...(beginning of Dec) I took a mental note of what they had that would match. They didn't have much as far as textiles go, but we'll probably head up there for lighting sometime soon. Let me know if you and Adie want to come along!