Friday, October 9, 2009

What the...?

This is not an Obama bashing post. You all know how much I dislike pretty much every mainstream politician, so I am not singling him out because I abhor his policies (which I do, but I do most others' as well). However, what in the world has Obama done to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize? Since he was put in office, there has been no decrease in our military presence or aggression around the world. In fact, it has increased.

In this article it states:

"Members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee said their choice could be seen as an early vote of confidence in Obama intended to build global support for his policies. They lauded the change in global mood wrought by Obama's calls for peace and cooperation, and praised his pledges to reduce the world stock of nuclear arms, ease American conflicts with Muslim nations and strengthen the U.S. role in combating climate change."

Guess what, intentions are far different than actions. There are lots of things I would like to do to make this world a better place too, and I can also talk about until I am blue in the face. Until he actually DOES something, this is absolutely ridiculous. Not only that, he really can't do a lot of these things that he claims he wants to do to make the world more peaceful. He doesn't have that much authority given to him in the Constitution, not that that matters to him.

Anyway, this has just diminished, in my eyes, the importance of the Nobel Peace Prize. If they are awarding people who have good intentions, but haven't shown any fruits of their intentions, it's nothing more than fluff. Sad, really.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"this has just diminished, in my eyes, the importance of the Nobel Peace Prize"

This did not diminish the importance of the award in my eyes. The award lost all credibility when Yasser Arafat won the award. Not to mention one of the worst presidents, Jimmy Carter, also won the award. This is just another reminder that the award is a joke.

Ben said...

I'm with anonymous. The peace award is given out by a different committee than the rest. They gave one to Al Gore too.

amanda said...

I'm sure you can guess how I feel about this! I did want to add a couple of thoughts from Glenn Beck. Love him or hate him, he had an interesting take on this.

1) On the funny side, he said that Obama has now won the first Participation Nobel Peace Prize. (If you listen to Beck at all, you know how he feels about participation trophies.)

2) On a more serious note, he made the argument that Obama's accepting the prize actually helps those who oppose him. This is due to the fact that it exposes just how prideful he really is. Even many of the left-leaning people on a forum I read are scratching their heads over this one.

And one last thought, but from me this time. My sister, who spent 4 months this summer studying Arabic in Jordan and is quite knowledgeable about Middle East politics, and I were just talking about Obama and the ME this week. She said that the Arab world was orginially in love with him after a great speech he gave in Cairo calling for peace. Since then, the love has faded because he has done nothing to further the ideas he espoused in this speech. Interesting now he's won this prize...

*Sorry so long!*

Hoenes Family said...

ditto.

Kerri said...

My jaw dropped when I heard he was awared the Nobel Peace Prize. Why? What has this man done for peace beyond make promises?

Shanny said...

Agreed. It's ridiculous. And also, agreed, that the Nobel Peace Prize committee has been dumb for a while now. What does telling people about global warming have to do with peace?

Carla said...

At this point in time, I feel that the Nobel Peace Prize means nothing. What kind of award is given to someone "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," when he's only been in office 2 weeks when nominations were submitted. I don't remember him being THAT focused on international diplomacy in his first 2 weeks to warrant an award like this. I looked at the recipient for last year & he was given the award in recognition of his efforts over the past 30 years. It really bothers me that this has become such a political award. It seems to devalue the efforts of those who have legitimately earned it in the past.

Em said...

Amen. Ridiculous. I'm nominating you next year. =)