Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Funky

So, I have been in a funk this week. I am lacking in the motivation department, big time. I have an exhaustive to do list, and I woke up Monday morning, ready to get started on it. Then, life happened. I really enjoy having Sunday be a day of rest, and I really try to not do too much housework on Sunday. However, waking up Monday can be depressing when the dishes are piled high, and I am rushing to finish them before Chase wakes up. Then, there's all the stuff that has been strewn around the house from a busy (and fun) weekend with very little time to pick up after one's self. So, we started Monday ready to get the house all clean from the weekend. However, because small children make it difficult to do anything efficiently, I only got about 1/8 of the things I was planning on doing, which means it carries over into the following day. Yesterday, I again had grand ambitions to get caught up (why do I do that to myself?) but I ended up hosting the Jehovah's Witnesses (that's a post for another day, can I just say, now I know what it's like to be on the other side of the door from the missionaries), and having a son that would not sleep anywhere but in his wrap. I had my visiting teachers over, and thought I had him to sleep at least three times, but after ten minutes, he'd be crying and I'd have to go console him yet again. I am grateful for my wrap. It makes life a lot easier in so many ways. However, there are still a lot of things I can't do with my child strapped to me, like scrub bathrooms, steam vac the carpet, sew, etc. Chase really did not want to be put down all day yesterday. I am pretty sure it's because he wasn't feeling well since he had immunizations last week. So, after two days of getting so little done on my to do list, I am just feeling like there is little point in having a to do list unless there are items on there that are of critical importance, like feeding myself and family.

I know we all get in these funks. What is your strategy, dear readership, for pulling yourself out of them?

11 comments:

Leilani said...

Ben! I was having that kind of week and he really helps me let things go that I don't get done. Also, sitting on the couch eating chocolate and watching HGTV helps a lot too. Maybe not so much.

Amber said...

Sweetie, we all feel like that at times so don't feel alone. Just remember (I know this is cheesy) that tomorrow is a whole new day. The dishes will still be there, but nobody is going to be in danger because of it. And maybe tomorrow you will have more energy/time, etc. I struggled very badly with this sort of anxiety, so if you want to talk about it in depth I'm always here.

Shanny said...

Oh, I completely understand. I have to constantly remind myself that my house doesn't have to be perfectly clean (or even a little bit clean, some days), and there really are more important things than dishes getting done. Which is so hard to do. I think the worst part is when you've worked so hard to get things done, and then a few days (or hours) later. . . you just have to do it again. It's so frustrating.

I swear I recently read a quote (though I can't find it) about how good mothers will let the dishes pile up, and let the laundry sit unfold, and instead play with their children. Because that is what is important. So I try to keep that in mind :)

Judy said...

I had this aying when you were a baby:

Cooking and cleaning can wait till tomorrow for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs.
Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.

LOL

Kerri said...

When one of my babies was little Alisa, my sister, suggested I make a weekly to-do list instead of a daily one, because I was much more likely to find success. I just had to lower my expectations & realize that to everything there is a season.

Aubrielle said...

I've been feeling this way too this week. I just haven't had the energy to get done all the things that need getting done. I try to snap myself out of it by opening up the windows and putting on some music I can sing to. It also helps me to have a goal at the end like "If I get the house cleaned by 300, then I can scrapbook while watching a movie til 430".

Carla said...

I think that one of the keys to surviving young children is to know when you are running on empty & get a break. Even if it's Brett taking the kids on a car ride for an hour so that you can get something done. It's amazing what you can get done in an hour alone. Or go to Target by yourself. It's amazing what's considered a break when you have 2 young children! And I agree with what Kerri said about lowering your expectations. I went to an enrichment class & one of the tips that she gave was to lower your expectations for yourself -- you don't have to be perfect, sometimes you just have to survive. Just give yourself a break & remember that you are probably the only person judging yourself for having a pile of dirty dishes! That was pretty long winded -- obviously something that I've thought about myself many times!

PS I inherited an embroidery from my mother of the same poem your mom posted.

PatrickandErica said...

Pray that I will wake up the next day, exercise, and get to work, and STAY motivate - but sometimes the ruts last far too long. I feel ya sista. Next time your being unproductive, call me, I will join you!

Jessica said...

I read your comments to try and inspire myself to finish the house cleaning. I am currently trying to force myself to finish as much of my jobs as possible by noon. After that I am off for a few hours. That is the only motivation that I can find right now...an afternoon off with a few less jobs on my chart.

Megan said...

1. Scrap the todo list for a couple weeks (sounds like your past that point).

2. If it has to be done I noticed I'm more likely to do it in the mornings when I have more energy. When do you have the most energy?

3. Drop Adie off at my house when you succeed at getting Chase down and clean like a madwoman :).

charlesfam said...

It's easy to say this on this end of the baby thing, but never forget that you're doing amazing things by just being there for your kids. Also, to-do lists are great, but sometimes incredibly depressing. Try doing it backwards. At the end of the day, write down what you did do. It's a lot nicer to sleep on. Good luck.