So, BYU's been playing relatively well as of late. The offense at least. I find myself quite frustrated by the defense. But they've been beating everyone (except that darn FSU game) so I can't complain too much.
This last week was no exception. BYU played a tough SDSU team and came out with a 10 point victory. The only problem was we made their quarterback look like a Heisman contender. SDSU looked much improved (or was that BYU not being great?) and I anticipate them rising up the conference ranks over the next few years. They brought in a great coaching staff that I have to believe will motivate the team.
The defense didn't look like it had any fire until the last quarter of the game. If they don't bring intensity the full 4 quarters of the TCU game, BYU will lose. The offense has been looking good lately. Aside from the fact that Max Hall still locks in on his receivers, the offense is firing on all cylinders.
Now, to my biggest beef. The MTN commentators. Seriously, where did we find these guys? In particular, I refer to James Bates and Todd Christensen. Fortunately, for the last two weeks they've been calling the Utah game, but as Sabrina is a big Utah fan, we end up watching these games as well. For the BYU game I'd love to turn down the commentators and just listen to the internet radio broadcast for KSL, but I usually DVR the game, so that's not really an option.
I don't know what it is about the two previously mentioned commentators, aside from the fact that they're awful, that I don't like. It could be things like "They got it to the O.C. and the O.C. goes down near midfield." Excuse me, the O.C.? Who is the O.C.? Does he regularly go by that nickname (no). Don't be making up nicknames for players. You're not that cool. Another thing that's bugging is Todd Christensen and his crusade against the helmet to helmet penalty. Every week, every chance he gets, he complains about it and that the officials call it. I can understand you personally not liking a call/penalty. But TV is not your soapbox (contrary to popular belief) so don't complain every week about the same thing. Oh, and who came up with the idea to have a commercial of them riding a scooter together? What the heck is that all about? (I'm sorry if any of my readers was the one who actually came up with it, I think it's an awfully dumb idea.) If you haven't seen it, you're not missing out.
Anyway, football's great, I just hope that James and Todd don't call this week's BYU game. Oh, and if you live within driving distance of BYU, make the drive to Provo this weekend and represent at espn college gameday! First time ever in Provo. Go Cougars!
2 comments:
I can't stand Todd Christensen, though I don't mind James Bates.
This week's game is on Versus, so I'm pretty sure those guys won't be calling it :).
Totally agree with you and Al: I can't stand Todd. Besides his annoying commentary, I don't like how he looks either because he reminds me of this cocky guy I played against in COED stake ultimate frisbee that was swearing at my team. He swore at one of the nicest girls in my ward who had no idea what she was doing and accidentally bumped into him. He's probably Todd's cousin, they look so similar.
Do you really think BYU has a chance against TCU?
Post a Comment