House Democrats have unveiled a plan to make health care a right. You heard it, a right. That means regardless of who you are, you guaranteed to get access to affordable health care. Sounds great, doesn't it? Who doesn't want top notch health care as a right, with the wealthy footing the bill for 1/6 of the country? Um, I don't.
The Democrats have figured out a new way to tax you. Under their plan you will either have a health care plan or be taxed close to equal the cost of a health care plan. That's right, your latest "right" gives the government to tax you if you choose to not take advantage of it. This isn't national defense or the federal highway system, this is health care.
I'm actually upset enough with the government on this one to not be able to coherently pull together my thoughts right now. Expect another rant soon explaining why this borders on the most asinine thing the government has done yet. House Democrats say it will cost $1.5 trillion. I say at least triple that. Everything Obama's done so far that we've seen results on, they've come back and said "I guess we were way too optimistic, weren't we?" This will kill our economy. Mark it down. I don't usually go out on a limb like Sabrina does, but if any semblance of their plan passes, we're hosed.
I'm not saying that we don't have major problems in health care. We do. But to pretend that solving our health care industry means forcing everyone to pay into a socialized (call it what you want, it's socialism) health care is ludicrous. If you actually believe this (meaning their plan, not the need for reform) is a good idea and have thought it through with solid, logical reasoning, please feel free to comment. I just don't believe its possible.
4 comments:
I guess this means the moment I've been dreading the most has come--or at least started to. I have been worried about universal health care since the election. I am against it for many, many reasons, but the biggest is that I've heard once you go there, you can't go back. Meaning that is the start of an irreversible path to socialism. People become too dependent on the government to reverse it. Scary, scary stuff.
I don't have any good reasons why I think this will work, so I guess I shouldn't be commenting. Somewhere the phrase "health insurance" stopped meaning "insurance" and started meaning "free health care." *eye roll
Goodbye good old fashioned capitalism. Goodbye quality health care.
I once heard a comment that went to the effect, "Healthcare is always what you can afford" or in other words ,how much is life worth to you? I hear people all over say that the cost of healthcare prices are outrageous and then they lament that twenty years ago they didn't even have insurance. I think that is a history worth exploring. Think about it. Twenty years ago few people needed insurance because healthcare was not that expensive. Why the raise in price? Insurance, and lawsuits! The Doctors were required to insure themselves and they passed that on to the consumer. The consumer needed insurance to help them handle the increase in cost. With everyone in the nation jumping on the insurance bandwagon suddenly we have large pools of money so the cost continues to go up even more. Now, with national health care where does the cost stop? Either the government will regulate to the point of telling the doctors and insurance agents what they can charge or the cost is as deep as the pockets of the american people. Watchout doctors and agents, or your next boss will be Uncle Sam! This is Marian's husband Edward, by the way.
Sabrina--
Just wanted you to know I rebutted (sort of) your comment on my blog. I don't think I have your e-mail, so this is best way I can tell you. I just put it as a comment on that post.
Post a Comment