With elections less than a week away you wouldn't expect anything less than a post from me on politics now would you? Actually, I urge you all to take a look at the following video if you haven't already. It's John Stossel's Politically Incorrect Guide to Politics. It aired a couple of weeks ago on 20/20. So, if you have just 10 minutes, take a peek. If you have 45 minutes, you can watch all 6 parts (I've put in hyperlinks for the remaining parts under the initial video). I think it makes some interesting points, things worth considering before going to the polls next Tuesday. Who doesn't a love a good John Stossel piece every once in a while anyway?
More importantly, even if you don't take the time to watch this, please research before you vote. Please know why you're voting the way you're voting. Don't just go off hearsay. Know what issues matter to you and what solutions you think will work best to take care of those issues. Know where the candidates stand on these issues, how they have voted in the past on similar issues and then vote your conscience!
This is not a popularity contest. This is our future and our children's future. I think that's why I am so passionate about this. I really dislike the path we are going down and I don't want to see us making the future harder for those we love. You and I may not agree on the right way to "fix" our current problems, but the more informed people there are out there who do care the more we'll figure out ways to solve these issues. Apathy and laziness rarely bring about progress. We have so many resources out there now so we can each be informed voters. I really believe we will end up with a safer, freer country if we all do our part to be educated and informed and get involved, where we can, in our communities. You've still got a few days to educate yourself for this election if you haven't already so get to it!
Part 1:
Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
5 comments:
Thanks for posting that! I totally didn't know McCain could help me lose weight, and prevent my children from being obese so, I'm totally voting for him now. =)
btw: I am really loving reading Revolution. Thanks again for letting me borrow it.
I was watching Fox News yesterday, and I believe it was one of the pundents, but someone actually made the case that the uninformed people should not vote in this election. I know you don't feel this way, and I'm pretty sure I don't either. My point is that such comments really don't encourage people to become informed. Instead, the gut reaction is to spite the pundent by ceasing to be informed and voting anyway. Sometimes I hate tv....
Anyway, I couldn't agree more. Being informed and knowing what's going on is very important. However, "being informed" can be a bit difficult at times, as virtually every media through which you can passes through a very biased filter of some sort. It's almost as if we're awarding a certain news network an emmy by voting for "their" president at times.
Anyway, /rant off. I need to write my own blog. :(
Good video, I think one of the most important things they mention is that the president doesn't really have as much power as they would like everyone to believe. Granted W isn't without his shortcomings but everything that has transpired during his term is a result of all politics, not just the president, nevertheless he gets pegged with the low approval rating and so the story goes.
The real problem as I see it is the two party system, essentially we are left between two candidates, which is not a lot of options. Imagine if you had to hire someone to fill a position and you could look at a dozen resumes (primaries) but you could only interview two, then you have to choose, and you are stuck with your choice for the next 4 years. Man that would suck!
I haven't had time to watch any of this yet, so I'll pass on commenting on it.
Amanda, I believe you mean pundit.
Sabrina, as you may have read on Clark's blog, the Presidency is a popularity contest. It shouldn't be. It would be nice if it wasn't. But there is no way a potential socialist and sure radical leftist would be within striking distance of winning an election in this country if it were based on policies.
This country may not be as libertarian as you'd like in it's leanings, but it's certainly not truly socialist.
The distinction may seem semantic, but it's not. In this race, there were at least 4 candidates who are markedly more qualified than the nominal frontrunner. Yet, we're now left to choose between who we're left to choose from. If only there were more than two choices. ;-)
Loved it! Thanks so much for sharing! Lots of good info...I wish I could play it in class.
Post a Comment