Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Few Post-election Thoughts

1. Hallelujah! It's finally over.

2. It is cool to see that the majority of this country can vote for someone other than a white man. Even with the amount of racial division that still exists, our country has moved much further away from racism. The fact that the civil rights movement happened only a few short decades ago and now we have elected a (half) black man is a huge indication of how far this country has come in that regard (not that I think race is a good reason to vote for or against someone, but at least it didn't hinder many people).

3. I expect Obama's State of the Union addresses, and other speeches, to be much more tolerable than our current Commander-in-Chief's. Obama is a very skilled orator.

4. We might leave Iraq! (If I were a betting woman I still wouldn't put money down that he'll keep this promise, but there's certainly a higher chance than the almost zero chance with McCain) I think we'll still see far more military adventurism than is necessary for our national security, but I won't have as much of a fear of a draft as I would with a McCain administration.

5. If a socialized medicine program is passed, it will be during some of our child-having years so we won't have to stress about having insurance, etc (we'll have it with Brett's upcoming job, so we're not stressed currently, but we have been in the past). Labor and delivery is one of those medical procedures they can't make you wait for and we'll have already paid for it with our taxes!

6 comments:

Spencer said...

I'm also glad it's over, though I think the tabloids could have written their headlines 3 weeks ago.

I am not sold on your point 3. I think people think he is a great orator, maybe they aren't listening. In any given debate he would use "speech fillers" like crazy, in fact it really annoyed me, kind of surprised it seemingly wasn't noticed by others. No doubt he is a capable speaker but his ability to articulate on the spur of the moment is, not so good, in my opinion.

Also on number 4 while McCain was most certainly more pro-military than any other candidate I don't think there would be even a remote possibility of re-instituting the draft.

I am most glad about this election as it now gives the democratic party a chance to make fools of themselves (as the republicans did), and now the majority of America can have their celebrities and pray their economic policies are inspired, no matter how unlikely. However remote the chance at least it creates potential for breaking the two party system.

Nathan said...

1. I couldn't agree more. I've been tired of hearing about it.

2. I halfway agree. I only find it unfortunate that his ethnicity was made an issue by a LOT of his voters. (In a positive way granted, but still, shouldn't be an issue).

3. I'm confused. Didn't he give that about a week or so ago?

4. It won't be logistically possible to leave iraq for almost a year. But yes, we might leave. That's probably a good thing. Though I'd agree, there was never a real chance that we'd institute a draft. In all honesty, being one that might have been shipped over there, I'm glad that iraq will be likely winding down.

5. I don't really know what to say. I do not approve.

Ben said...

I'm pretty sure you're overly optimistic about the not making you wait for labor and delivery part. I guess that it's somewhat ironic that the man who is at fault for it all is an obstetrician.

ilikewinter said...

Are you a liberal residing in Provo?? Gasp.

Don't know if it's true or not ;) but I really can't agree with many of these things. We can't pull out of Iraq until the job is done. If we did, we'd be leaving things a great mess- regardless of whether it's our fault or not. Leaving when it's not settled is not a great way for the world to view us, even though we can't sink much lower in their opinion anyway. We've got to clean the mess up before we can walk away.

I don't think socialized healthcare is a good idea. At all.

What the heck is Obama talking about half the time, anyway? Change, change, change. What the heck does that mean??

Ummm, I can't remember what else you wrote. But the only thing I am excited about with this whole thing is the fact that our environmental policies are about to get better- hopefully.

Amen to Spencer's last comment. Let's get the media off the Republican's backs.

Ben said...

Life,

If you think Sabrina's a liberal you haven't been paying much attention. She may not think much of tactical politics but she's certainly made it clear that she's not a socialist.

--Ben

Sarah H said...

I agree with a lot of your thoughts.
As you know, I heart Obama. I think he is awesome, brilliant, and will be a great leader. However, his task is dautning and I'm sure he will make mistakes and it will give the republicans a chance to make fun of democrats after 8 years of making fun of bush. (But it was just too easy!)
As far as "socializing medicine" from what Obama said in his campaign he's not going to do that, he is just going to make coverage available to more people. I, however, think we should have universal health care, a single payer system, and that health care is a right. Esp. let's start with the pregnant women and children.
To me that is just the morally right thing to do.
And also, as a tangent, if we want to save tons of money in health care we need more midwives and less OBs over childbirth.
And, while Obama did stick with a lot of "speech fillers" during the campaign (he didn't want to make a mistake, and it worked) he writes his own thoughts and does it well. That's a mark of intelligence.
Isn't politics fun?