So, New Mexico.
First of all, if I were a New Mexico fan, I admit I'd probably be saying all the things that some New Mexico fans are saying. Mainly that the block in the back penalty really shifted momentum in the game. I think that it was a pretty weak penalty. Granted that the NM lineman did have his hand on the BYU player's back as the BYU player was falling to the ground. The ref might not have had a good angle and could only call it as they saw it. Or the MWC really has ordered the officials to make sure BYU and Utah win every game until they meet.
Also, New Mexico had a wide open reciever on the next play that would have easily had a touchdown if the quarterback could have thrown a good pass.
Overall this was a good game on BYU's part. New Mexico had a good scheme for the game in that they didn't blitz. While that might sound funny, anyone who knows how you would normally prepare to play New Mexico would instantly recognize that by not blitzing, New Mexico threw off BYU's game plan for them.
I think most BYU fans wanted to see more points. I know I expected it. I actually don't mind though that the game turned out as it did. I think they're in a bit of a funk. They tend to play to the level of their competition. Hopefully that means they'll step up for TCU this Thursday.
2 comments:
I agree with your analysis. The block in the back was a bad call - but the ref calls the game as he sees it. Both out of bounds late hits on Colt McCoy were calls like this. McCoy tripped over himself while the Oklahoma player had their hands on him. They ended up being penalized for McCoy's clumsiness. It's the name of the game.
New Mexico wouldn't have won the game with the touchdown either. BYU would have still scored on the next possession and the game would have still been out of reach.
The bigger reason to discount that theory is that our officiating has been fixed this season. With the advent of mixed crews, this referee was unfamiliar to me. I don't know if the line judge who threw the controversial flag was ours or not.
As for the call, it is correct that a player in a position to make a play who is contacted from behind and then falls to the ground will get a block in the back flag.
It is also true that given the extremely poor officiating that heavily favored NM that they shouldn't whine.
It's also true that their coach is now one game under 500 and may have reasons for making excuses more related to how he was unable to realize that he should kick a field goal on 4th and 22 than to the actual officiating.
If I was a NM fan this morning, I'd be demanding his resignation.
Post a Comment