Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sweet!

Well, by now, if you've read our blog at any length you'd know we are interested in politics. I use most of my free time as a stay-at-home mom reading political, historical and / or economics literature, or watching videos related to these topics. Last night, however, I had the opportunity, as did all Utah residents, to make this newfound hobby more than just one of accumulating information, but actually making it one of taking action. I attended my precinct caucus meeting in order to obtain a delegate position to attend and vote in the Utah County Republican Convention.

I had never been to one before so I read a little bit beforehand about what to expect and how to get elected as a delegate. It was suggested you bring along a few neighbors that could nominate you, second the nomination and then vote you in, basically plant people who could get you elected. I wasn't successful at finding anyone who could go (ok, I didn't try very hard) but I thought I'd go anyway and see what it was all about even if I didn't get nominated and / or elected.

We were in the library at Timpview High School so we all sat around tables. I arrived earlier than a lot of people and took a seat by myself at a table. Most in attendance were older and were neighbors that clearly knew each other well and had attended these caucuses multiple times. Eventually, an older couple (May and Reed) came and sat down at my table, one of them on each side of me. They were super cute and super nice. The husband kept asking me questions and was so sweet. While they were reading the Utah County Republican Platform, when certain things were read, the wife and I would react similarly. Needless to say, this couple and I got off to a good start.

When the nominating started there was a man behind me who appeared to not know anyone either, but he seemed interested in being nominated for precinct chair so I asked him if he wanted to be nominated. Only one person had been nominated at this point and I thought it would be good to get multiple nominations and hear their speeches. When he said was interested I nominated him. He didn't win for Chair, but asked me if I'd nominated him for Vice Chair. I said sure and asked him to nominate me for county delegate. Sweet! I didn't have to plant anyone. I could at least get a nomination.

When it came time to elect the county delegates (4 go the convention from each precinct) Bill nominated me and 7 other people were nominated. We each got to give a one minute speech, really about anything we wanted, but mostly to convince those at the caucus that we would represent our precinct well. Then, we all got to vote, and not knowing anyone, I got voted in as a delegate! It was a really cool experience, because I am not a very talented speaker. Probably any of you can attest that I can't even always say normal words well. It's just never been a gift I've had, but in that one minute I didn't fumble over any of my words, interject things such as "um" or "like" and I think I spoke pretty clearly about what I believed. I don't think the Lord is especially concerned about who the Utah County delegates are but I believe He knew this was important to me and He helped me make a clear, concise speech that was convincing enough.

Being a Utah County delegate is small change, and I don't find myself thinking I am especially popular or cool for having gotten elected, especially since I had a 50% change of winning. However, I think it's so neat to get involved in the political process. The conventions are where a lot of the big policy and candidate decisions are made. It's where the action is and where a lot of the people's voices are heard, so I am excited to be a part of it.

The coolest part of the night for me though was not getting elected, it's what happened after. As we were closing someone got up who had previously worked in Washington DC for the Department of Agriculture. He said while he was there President Ezra Taft Benson's 50 year anniversary of being the Secretary of Agriculture (during the Eisenhower Administration) passed so he got to help organize a party to celebrate that anniversary and it was a really neat experience for him. He shared this experience because the couple sitting at the table with me were relatives of President Benson's. Once I realized that, I asked Reed if he was his brother or something (didn't do the math so well there) and he said, "I'm his son." Here I was making friends with President Benson's son and daughter-in-law. This is truly exciting for me because I admire President Benson so much, not just as a prophet, but for his political teachings of which I've read a few. I told Reed and May how much I admired President Benson and that I was currently reading a book he had recommended to church members in the April '72 General Conference. I even had the book with me (because I didn't know if I'd be waiting and need something to kill the time) and showed it to them. They were really excited to see it. Anyway, I was really impressed with them and so happy to have met them.

This was probably a somewhat long and boring post for a lot of you, but I had to write it, because for me it was a really great night. I loved getting more involved in my community and I especially loved meeting the Bensons.

7 comments:

Amy said...

You are so inspiring! We got the information that it was going on, but didn't go. Well I had a session that night so I couldn't. I think it is great to be involved. Our family blog is bennionbunch.blogspot.com as well as my photography blog amybphotography.blogspot.com
Love ya!

Janssen said...

I just found your blog today and I thought this was a GREAT post. Good work on being involved!

Also, how cool to meet Reed and May Benson. My mom took a class from him at BYU about twenty years ago and decided to homeschool because of him. So i've always had a special place in my heart for Reed Benson, even though I've never met him.

Jess said...

Nice work Sabrina! I love how I just count on you guys to keep me informed. Sam does a good job too. Read something out of one of his magazines about how Hilary is ruining the Democratic nomination and that 67% of the US population would vote for McCain. Hooray! Now we just need to get Romney on board as VP. :) Yup. That's about the extent of my political prowess. (P.S. Janssen is a friend of my from Sports & Dance Camps...must've found you through me or something.)

KordelandHeather said...

Kordel got elected as a delegate too! I think he also said so did Candice/Josh, so you can all be buddy buddies up in SLC together! How I love all my crazy political friends!

Em said...

Congratulation Sabrina! That's awesome. I admire you for being interested and involved!

Heather Dayton said...

Nice - I went to the precinct caucus as well. I wish we would have been in the same one...I would have loved to hear your speech. :)

Stephanie said...

Fun! Britton was so wired up about that meeting too and became a delagate also. I'm glad he is so happy about it. (And you too for that matter) :).