Thursday, March 20, 2008

Potpourri

There are lots of things to say that don't connect, so this is a potpourri of life currently. 

First, there were definitely perks to working at Novell, like the free Brainshare concerts every year. Because of Novell, we were able to see Train, the Counting Crows and the Goo Goo Dolls without paying a cent. I honestly probably would have never paid to see Train or the Goo Goo Dolls, but it turns out they both put on great shows and I would now maybe pay to see them if given another opportunity when our funds aren't so tight. 

Last night was the annual concert again. This year it was Collective Soul. Now, Brett and I are both fans, big enough fans we would pay to see them, and for some reason we just never have. Luckily, even though I am no longer employed at Novell I still know people who are and can get me tickets. So, we got a free date last night to see CS. They put on a really fun show, the highlights being "The World I Know" and "Shine". "Shine" was actually extremely incredible with pretty much everyone in the audience getting into it, which leads me into the lowlights of the night. The problem with going to a corporate-sponsored concert, where the attendees are often not super interested in the band and are just there because it's free, is there isn't a ton of energy in the concert. When you pay to see a band you are usually there because you really want to see them, as do the other people in the venue, so it's really high-energy and tons of fun. Novell concerts can be a little lackluster that way, but I don't expect it to be any different. However, because "Shine" is such a well-known song, tons of people were getting into it and I felt for a brief moment I might be at a normal concert. The other lowlight of the night was they didn't play "Run". I was sure they would. That was a big hit for them and it's one of my very favorite Collective Soul songs. Oh well, I guess that's an excuse to see them again.

In other news, Adie is in a really fun, cute stage right now. She is sleeping well (hallelujah) and she is starting to talk a little. Besides, dada and mama, she says Jesus, duck, magnets and amen after we finish prayers. Today she learned how to roar when I ask her what the tiger says. I know all kids go through these stages so it's not earth-shattering, but it's fun, as a parent, to see them figure it all out. Also, because she is sleeping better, she hasn't been throwing temper tantrums so much and she's not nearly so clingy. I think I'd better enjoy it while it lasts because I know as she approaches 18 months and beyond she'll probably start getting challenging again. She has always been really affectionate, but also, lately, when she is tired she'll walk up to you if you're sitting on the couch and lay her head calmly in your lap. It's super cute. 

Finally, today was the official start of March Madness. We love this time of the year in our household. Brett and I are both entered into a couple of competitions to see how our picks fare against our friends / family (no betting, don't worry). I am doing very poorly right now. I picked a few too many upsets and was wrong on most of them already :( Besides, I always like to be a little more optimistic than I should about the teams I want to go the farthest, so I picked BYU to win tonight and then beat UCLA. I know, it was a long shot from the beginning, but now those dreams have been shattered. That is how March Madness goes though, and I've never been good at picking so it's nothing new. I am still excited to see how everything turns out this year. I always find it so exciting.

2 comments:

Heather Dayton said...

That is so fun that Adie is talking! How fun. It's always exciting to hear updates on their progress. :)

ilikewinter said...

She's saying words!! That is so cool. It's always mind-boggling to me how fast they change. I get to hang out with Spandi a lot and am always amazed when we see the kids- they've always got something new they've learned to do in just a week or so. Crazy.