Saturday, August 27, 2011

Spider Clarification

Due to a few comments, I thought I throw up a little clarification on the spider incident yesterday. It was not fake. It was the real deal. I (meaning Sabrina) did not find it, nor was it in our house though. Brett and Chase found it dead on our patio while I was upstairs feeding Parker. Brett didn't want me to miss out on so much excitement :) so he put it in a bug catcher and left it on our counter for me to see when I came downstairs. Isn't he thoughtful? I am a total arachnophobe, so you can imagine how welcome the sight was. If I had indeed found a live (or dead, for that matter) hairy monstrosity like that inside our home I would have possibly hyperventilated and run out of the house screaming. Really, that would not have been out of the realm of possibility. As it was, I was seriously creeped out for hours but glad it wasn't in the house and it appears our pest control is doing its job.

This incident is, of course, just a few days after I walked out into our garage bare foot (not something I recommend doing), stepped on something a little squishy and looked down to see Chase reaching down to pick up the thing I had just stepped on, which happened to be a dying scorpion. Because it was already on its way out, it didn't whip out its tail to sting Chase or me, thanks goodness, but that was too close a call. I was seriously creeped out that whole day too.

We have lived here for more than 2.5 years and this is the first time I have ever seen a scorpion or tarantula. I count myself lucky for that. However, seeing them both within days of each other is seriously disturbing to me.

6 comments:

Kati said...

I'm glad you clarified this. I was imagining it on your kitchen floor.

Gooch Family said...

Yikes! So glad he wasn't alive!!

Sarah and Wes said...

Ew, ew, ew! I will seriously rethink adding Arizona to our list of possibilities for the future. Just kiding. But seriously. But just kidding. But no I'm not.

The McCloys said...

Lucky you that you havent seen a scorpion until now. We have had 3 this year alone. All together probably around 10-15. Derek and I have both been stung too. So yes, you should count yourself lucky.

charlesfam said...

Yuck. I'll have to put that next to my finding a black widow in my garage this morning. I do not like spiders near or in my house. They are welcome outside. Well, maybe not black widows, scorpions, or any HUGE creepy crawlies.

Em said...

I'm creeper out with ya. Eeeeeew.