Thursday, March 18, 2010

Do You RSVP?

I haven't been in a blogging mood for a while, but here's a second post in one day. How exciting for all of you! I just read this NY Times oped about how it seems RSVPing is becoming a thing of the past, something I have observed myself. I will admit, I have forgotten to RSVP on a number of occasions, or I have done the dreaded "maybe" far too many times as well (but, I'll blame that mostly on the unpredictable nature of having small children that can throw you for a loop so it's hard to commit sometimes). However, I really do try to make an effort to let people know my intentions when they invite me somewhere because I feel it is a necessary courtesy when someone goes through the effort of hosting or coordinating something to know who is going to be there.

Anyway, it seems our culture refuses to be pinned down. I wonder why it is we refuse to commit to anything these days. I have been thinking about myself and how I often wait until the last minute to commit to anything, and sometimes, at the last minute, have to back out of things because I can't get a babysitter, or the kids get sick or I have a headache, whatever. There are a million things that go wrong at the last second. Maybe that's just what happens to everyone so we've all decided to be non-committal? I am not ready to throw in the towel on RSVPing just yet, but maybe we just should...When I am hosting something though, I admit, I get a little antsy waiting to hear back from people so I can know what to plan for.

8 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

9 times out of 10 I would say I RSVP if asked to do so. I feel that it is rude to not let people know either way. It bugs me that most people do not RSVP. When I host something, I usually end up calling everyone to get a yay or nay.

The McCloys said...

I try and RSVP to anything that I am invited to. One thing that I think is a good idea in this time of no RSVPing is to put on your invite, "Regrets Only". That way you are assuming no news is good news. If someone can not make it, then they should let you know. That way the host can have enough food or whatever.

Sarah H said...

I'm okay at RSVPing, but could be better. I probably do it maybe 2/3 of the time. I like it when people put an email address to RSVP to because I hate making calls.

Aubrielle said...

I've been really frustrated by that lack of commitment people show. I know last minute things come up (it really is hard when you have kids, especially young ones), but it still drives me crazy! I try to RSVP every time, but that doesn't always happen.

Kaylee Baldwin said...

I only RSVP if I'm going to the party. Regrets only is too hard (and I hardly ever call on those.) But I never show up for a party that I didn't RSVP for if they asked for you to do that. It just seems rude to show up and expect that they will have enough food/party favors for you.

Gooch Family said...

I do only because I know I want people to RSVP when I send something out.

Shannon said...

I always used to, but now that I have a baby I'm always the "maybe" person. (Which I have to admit is frustrating if you're the one hosting.)

You're right though, with small kids you just never know. But I think it's a nice gesture to be thorough with the RSVPing.

Em said...

That was a really interesting article. It's caused me to think. I don't even know if I should answer yes or no to whether or not I RSVP. I probably only remember to 50% of the time, that's just me being unorganized, not noncommittal, but then I RSVP about 50% of the time when I'm not supposed to. Does that make up for any of the 50% when I am supposed to but don't =)

But there's definitely that noncommittal part that is evidenced in my "maybe" RSVPs. Interesting to note that it is a sweeping cultural trend. I thought Brian and I were the only ones afraid of serious commitment...