Friday, November 30, 2007

College football

It's that time of year again. The time when everyone not from the Big 10 starts to complain about the BCS system. Yet again we see the mediocrity of "big time" conferences. UCLA has a chance to go to a BCS bowl game. UCLA!!! They would be 7-5. (Coincidentally, if UCLA does win the PAC-10, and Hawaii loses, odds are that BYU will go to a BCS bowl. Not that I'm cheering for that to happen or anything.) Anyone who claims that a system which allows only "elite" schools to be 6-5 and have a chance of going to a BCS bowl game with one game left in their season is a good idea is either controlled by Jim Delaney (commissioner of the Big 10 and football public enemy #1) or smoking crack.

I've found a post by a sports writer on Yahoo which I thought was well written proposal for the 16-team playoff system. While I personally haven't decided if his way would be the easiest/most likely/best way of overcoming the Bowl Cartel System, he also directly responded to some of the typical propaganda by answering letters by some of his readers. I would encourage all football fans everywhere to consider the needs of their team and realize that you'll get better football by changing the current system.

1 comment:

tysqui said...

Count me in. The unfairness of the current system is criminal.