Well, it's that time of year again, when Sabrina becomes simply unbearable as she talks up how her Utes will beat my Cougs. Again. She gleefully reminds me of how BYU hasn't been victorious over the U in Provo for years. Well my dear, this is the year.
In all honesty, I think this will be, yet again, a great football game. Utah has been, at best, dominating in their last seven games, at worst, they've won. BYU has been solid at best during their last seven games, at worst, they've won. To me, there a 3 main things to watch this game.
1 - Whose quarterback is healthier, and if they're not 100%, which quarterback can be more effective in the short game?
My Take: if both QBs are limited in efficiency beyond 15 yards, edge to BYU as their offense naturally calls for dump passes across the middle to TE and RBs. If BYU lets Brian Johnson run like they did TCU's Andy Dalton, it could be a long night for the BYU defense.
2 - Turnovers. BYU has survived all year even while turning the ball over. They even managed to almost win while turning the ball over lots at UCLA and Tulsa. Utah has done decently well in this area, but needed New Mexico to cough it up for their win to be comfortable.
My Take: if Utah turns it over more than BYU, edge to BYU, if not, this is a draw.
3 - Points. BYU is averaging 30.5 points in conference play (1st in conference), while Utah is averaging 23.9 (which does include the shutout by UNLV, 4th in conference). BYU has given up
15.3 ppg (2nd in conference) and Utah is giving up 12.4 ppg (1st in conference).
My Take: I know I probably shouldn't, but I GUARANTEE which ever team scores more points will win this one.
Is this the year that BYU finally breaks the Utah curse? Could it be that the magic of Lavell Edwards Stadium will finally extend to this game as well? Or will Utah yet again walk out of the TDS stadium with a W? I'm not sure either, but from now until Saturday it won't stop us from pounding our chests and proclaiming that our team is the better.
Go Cougs!
3 comments:
Unbearable huh? Go UTES!
I am sure it will be a great game, but I can't help but cheer for the Utes. Unfortunately we don't get "the Mountain" so I will just have to check online or whatever.
Let me just take a moment to say that this game would be much better if it weren't owned by Comcrap.
The game is on Versus and CSTV, and will be broadcast later on The Mtn.
Post a Comment