Have y'all (no, I am not from TX) heard about the canned pumpkin shortage going on in the country right now? Here's a news article about it if you haven't. I read about it a few days ago and went to the local Fry's to see if I could grab a few cans. Sure enough, the area of the shelf where canned pumpkin can normally be found was emptied out. I am totally bummed! I have a few very tasty recipes that I love making in the fall for which I need canned pumpkin. I have a couple of cans, but I feel like I need to save them for a special occasion now, just in case I can't procure anymore.
Is anyone else totally bummed about this? If I find any canned pumpkin I will be buying it in quantity and keeping it as part of my food storage. If any of you local readers find some and aren't going to buy out the whole shelf for yourself, call me or buy it for me and I'll pay you back. I am totally serious about that. I love my canned pumpkin recipes. I suppose I can just buy a pumpkin and bake and puree it. However, I understand it just never turns out tasting quite right that way. Desperate times my call for desperate measures though.
8 comments:
We happen to have a shelf full of canned pumpkin in our food storage and I NEVER use it, so if you want me to send a box down to you, just send me your address. =)
I heard about this, and I was quite alarmed. Because I, too, love the pumpkin recipes. I read on $5 dinners that you can make butternut squash puree and it tastes very similar, so I might try that. Not the same, but it's something. Especially for things like cookies, I think that'll work.
I just saw some in Super Target a week or two ago. I almost bought some, but didn't because they only had the big cans. I will have to grab some next time I go if there's any left!
That is going to be a real problem for me because I will only use Libby's pumpkin. I hope I can get some!
I am more interested in the recipes you use...
Let you know...it is back. I checked at Fry's today and the shelves were full of canned pumpkin!
Walmart has tons too, and it's only $1.62 a can.
Haven't heard about it but I'll be heading to the store soon!
Post a Comment