Sunday, September 27, 2009

Swaddling Revisited

So, Chase hadn't been a big fan of swaddling up until this point. He just seemed to get too hot, even if we turned up the A/C or swaddled him with only a diaper and a thin blanket. We hadn't tried it in a while though and he still was only going 3 hour stretches between feedings at night, mostly. He's a big kid and I was pretty sure his stomach could last a little longer. I decided we needed to revisit the swaddle. Luckily, one of Brett's sisters sent us a couple of great thin, large blankets, perfect for swaddling. We decided to give it a go. We were a little rusty in our swaddling technique the first couple of days, so he would pop out of his swaddle after a couple of hours still. However, last night, we got him good and swaddled. He went from 9 pm to 3 am without waking up. Victory! This comes after a somewhat challenging week and very little sleep. What a blessed event. I hope it continues. It still took him about 2 hours to eat and get back to sleep after that stretch, but I was so happy I didn't even mind. I feel like I might start to feel a little sane again :)

Here he is in all his swaddled glory. Of course, next to him are the toy bears Adie felt she needed to provide him for his entertainment. She's always so thoughtful, sharing things with him (we just have to stealthily remove them when she doesn't notice so he doesn't suffocate on the toys, blankets and shirts she likes to share with him).

7 comments:

Unknown said...

My mom gave me a bunch of blankets that my grandma made for us kids when we were babies. They are the perfect size and thickness for swaddling and Peter still loves to be swaddled. He doesn't stay swaddled for too long anymore but the initial swaddling really helps him fall asleep. Have you ever seen the premade swaddle blankets? They are also awesome. There is a hole near the bum meant for seat belts and they velcro shut.

Julie said...

Too weird - Cambree slept from 9pm to 3 am last night too, and then she was up for 2 hours. She was waking up every 2 hours during the night and I discovered that I wasn't drinking enough water and so not making as much milk - so I've been chugging water and she's back to the longer stretches of sleep. Horray!

Aubrielle said...

:0 Wow. I think it is crazy that you guys have 2 kids! I never got the hang of swaddling and Larz didn't get the hang of sleeping till he was about 6 1/2 months. Good Luck!

Shanny said...

YESSSSS!!!!! This totally makes my day! Hopefully it lasts.

Carla said...

It's fun to see Ammon's blanket being used again. I hope it continues to work -- sleep seems like a miracle when you haven't had enough of it for a long time!

KordelandHeather said...

Corinne loved to "help" shane also by providing toys, but one day when i found over 4 different blankets on him, we decided we had to shut the door and lock it or keep him in the room with us to prevent any problems. I'm glad you've got some sleep, good luck with tonight!

CMK5 LINDSEY said...

He's such a cutie=)