Well, after all the efforts we went through to be among the first to see the new Batman movie, we were sorely disappointed. Disappointed that is, that our movie didn't actually start at 12:02, but 12:04. That meant that the other people in the theater must have sabotaged us so that they would know the plot before we would. Curses! Anyway, on to the actual review of the movie.
Well, lies, I'm actually going to preface this with the fact that I loved the movie Batman Begins. Sabrina and I paid to see it twice at the expensive theater. Putting that in perspective, I think we see 2-4 movies per year at the expensive theater. We also purchased it and I think we've purchased 3 since we were married 4 years ago.
The Dark Knight opens a short while after Batman Begins ended. There's still crime in Gotham. Loads of it. However, there's hope on the streets. People are starting to stand up for what's right. There's also a new District Attorney in town, Harvey Dent. He is willing to do whatever it takes to fight crime.
Overall I thought the acting was incredibly good. You'll hear plenty of people say this, but it's true: Heath Ledger was phenomenal as the Joker. I believe that this movie was made the way it was to show off the Joker, not Batman. The first movie was all about the story behind Batman, the reasons, the hope he brings. This movie was all about chaos, anarchy and the psychopath Joker who wants to turn anything good against itself. This is played out with quite a bit of intense violence throughout the movie. It's definitely more gruesome than the first.
The ending (no spoilers here) left me feeling like the movie producers wanted me to feel (I'm guessing here). I think that they definitely accomplished what they were going for. I'm really curious to see what they do with the next movie (assuming there is one).
I was super stoked about this movie, and I do believe I'll see it again; however, I probably won't pay to see it at the expensive theater. Why? you might ask. Well, it just didn't leave me craving for it. I felt like I'd seen how the Joker was and how Batman interacted with that anarchy, and it didn't leave me with the feeling that I wanted to see Joker producing chaos again. Please don't misunderstand this. I thought the movie was great. I'm glad I went. If someone were to claim it's better than the original, I probably wouldn't argue. It just didn't leave me saying "I HAVE to see that again."
6 comments:
I can't wait to see it. We never go to the expensive theatre, but this time we may make an exception!
I would say that I agree with you about Batman Begins but I totally disagree about the dark knight. The first thing I thought to do on leaving the theater was to apologize to my wife for taking her to such an evil movie. I can also see why Heath Ledger killed himself after that, how could you not be haunted if you let that character inside your head. I just felt that it was a bit of a reflection on how evil our society has become as well. Everyone has an opinion and the graphics were great!
Disagree about what? that the Joker was solely focused on anarchy? That the movie had much more violence than the previous? A broad "I disagree with you" and then pretty much agreeing with what I said is a bit contradictory. And at the end of the movie I turned to my wife and asked what she thought of it.
I'll take a stab at finding disagreement amid apparent agreement.
Brett: "I do believe I'll see it again . . . I thought the movie was great. I'm glad I went."
Robert: "The first thing I thought to do . . . was to apologize to my wife for taking her to such an evil movie. I can also see why Heath Ledger killed himself after that, how could you not be haunted if you let that character inside your head."
You seem to agree that the movie is dark, violent and gruesome. However, Robert appears to be of the opinion that it was dark, violent and gruesome to the extent that he wishes he had not seen it. I think the key word in his description is that for him, it crossed the line to evil. I note that he did not describe any character as evil, but the movie as a whole.
Brett, on the other hand, seems to feel that the darkness was within acceptable levels for viewing multiple times.
There you go. I have violated a cardinal rule of not speculating on peoples meanings, twice in one comment even!
Brett... for all the times you've done this to Robert, it's about time he got you going a little bit.
Robert, well played. (And if you were serious, just pretend my interpretation is right beause that was way off the deep end.)
Thanks for going with us guys! Being the evil person I am, I had a blast!
Post a Comment