Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Britain's Got Talent, actually no, they have big brother

So, check it: Britain's proposed big brother

I feel like I'm preaching to the choir on this one, but do people honestly think this is a good idea? I can't imagine anyone buying that this will make their country safer. The worst thing about it though, is the number of people saying "I don't do anything wrong. I have nothing to hide. So sure, go ahead and do it." It doesn't matter that you have nothing to hide, the government has no right to do that. Unless you believe that the government has to protect us from ourselves at all cost. Do people not see all the similarities to 1984, A Brave New World, The Giver, and similar sorts of books? Well, guess what? Step by step, it's becoming a reality. This article may be about Britain, but the funny thing is, I don't know that it's any better here in America. That's due in large part to our wonderful government policy to protect us from the "evil" of the world. If anyone feels like having the government track us is a fine idea, I'd like to hear your reasoning before recommending a good mental institution for you.

1 comment:

Spencer said...

I think implementation on something like this is... well impossible. Just imagine the server space that would be required for this sort of undertaking. Personally I am less offended by the spying idea and more bothered by the fact that the government thinks that spending their money on crap like this is actually worth while. Even if they found a way to store all that data, who is going to sort through it, or create a program that is actually capable of capturing any sort of useful information? By the way the Patriot Act basically gives our gov. the right to do this however they haven't got to the point where they are monitoring every ounce of communication, just specific individuals/groups.
I am all for having a military presence, including cyber military, to protect American citizens from foreigners (as warranted, obviously Canada isn't exactly a threat). So I think it could be justified to monitor a call or email between Chicago and Afghanistan. If the borders were more secure it inter-country communications would be a none issue entirely. Alas they are not, and probably never will be.