Tuesday, November 30, 2010

As December Approaches (A Christmastime Ramble)

In less than 2 hours (in my current time zone, that is), it will be December. I know from a retail perspective the Christmas season begins as soon as Halloween ends, and I technically count it Christmastime once Thanksgiving is over, but with December looming only moments away no one can deny any longer that "the most wonderful time of the year" has arrived. I really do believe it's the best time of the year. I always look forward to it and as early as September we are listening to Christmas albums in our house. It's really the only time of the year I make an effort to decorate the house festively and actually enjoy the decorations (I don't so much love all Halloween decor, but I do some of that too without as much zeal). I love all the parties, the treats, the concerts and all around good will toward men that can be felt throughout the season.

However, as I have gotten older, read more about how the world works outside of my little bubble, opened my eyes a little more to the harsh realities some people face, I am left with a little sadness during the holiday season, well, and really throughout the year. I felt it acutely today as I sat in my comfortably-heated SUV listening to "Silent Night" while waiting for a red light to turn green. About ten cars ahead of me a man without gloves and an old coat stood on a corner holding up a cardboard sign. I couldn't read the sign, but of course I knew what it said already. Don't we all? It's a scene we're all familiar with. He didn't try to approach any cars or walk down the road in search of a driver who would roll down their window. I was wishing he would. We had some extra coins in our car that I could have given him. By the time the light was green I was caught up in a long line-up of cars and couldn't stop at his side. I actually thought about turning around though, getting back on the freeway, just so I could be in a location where I could reach out and give him enough money for just one meal, or a pack of cigarettes or even a bottle of whiskey, whatever would ease his suffering a little this morning. With the words of "Silent Night" still ringing in my ears I have to admit, I shed a few tears. I cried for that man and for all the men and women and children out there who don't have a wonderful Christmas season to look forward to.

Maybe that man was a conman. Maybe he had made a series of bad choices that lead him to be begging on a roadside. Maybe he's just receiving the just desserts of a life not well-lived. Maybe, if I gave him money, he would waste it on booze or drugs. Maybe he's mentally so unstable he doesn't even realize how sad his plight really is. How many things go through our heads when we see these kind of people, but who cares? Who cares if he is any of these things? Aren't we all beggars before the Lord anyway?

This is where my soul-searching always leads. I have so much. I have more than enough. I live an abundant life, for which I am truly grateful. However, where much is given much is required. I struggle to know how much to sacrifice in order to give to those who maybe don't have all I do. Our culture sometimes frustrates me because I see so much frivolity around me and I participate in it regularly, but sometimes with a guilty conscience. Would it really rob my family if we lived in a smaller, simpler way and gave more? I sometimes wonder if we wouldn't be doing our children a service to downsize our lives and use our excess to truly serve without thought of reward. Maybe they wouldn't get all the things our culture dictates to us we should be providing for our children, but we'd be giving them experience loving and serving. What else is there really?

Anyway, I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy for Christmas. I really do love so many Christmas traditions and I couldn't be happier that so many people slow down their lives for a month to think a little more about the birth of a humble man who made all the difference in the lives of each of us. Even for those who don't worship Jesus as the Christ, the good will and cheer throughout the season is incredible this time of year. My goal this season is to find ways to sacrifice and serve, hopefully doing my small, inadequate part to follow the Savior's example. I am sure I won't dispose of all the frivolity that surrounds this holiday, but I want to be more deliberate about how I spend my time and resources celebrating Christmas this year and every year.

Enough of the rambling. Now on to some music. Here are a couple possibly lesser-known Christmas songs that I absolutely love. They are worth a listen. Happy Christmas Season!






I actually like the version on the anniversary edition of The Forgotten Carols better, but the message is incredible either way.

3 comments:

PatrickandErica said...

Amen sista! I am trying to figure out family traditions that are truly Christ centered for our family to engage in. It takes a lot more effort to help those that really need help, instead of the friends & family in my utopian bubble life! Thanks for your thoughts! Miss you guys!

Jamie said...

thank you

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

You have me in tears. Beautifully written Sabrina... I love Christmastime as well. It is by far my favorite holiday! Thank you for writing down your thoughts- it makes me want to be a little more kind and charitable this year :)