Her funeral service was very nice, even a little humorous at parts. It was also very musical, which is fitting for a woman whose life was full of music and singing. Adie now has me sing her the song "Doodlely Doo" daily (that song is probably not recognized by anyone not acquainted with the Savage family, but it's a family favorite). I am so grateful we live close enough that Brett, the kids and I were all able to make it out to pay our final respects to a woman who deserves all the respect in the world.
All the cousins who were present (except me who was nursing Chase, grrr!)
I don't know why this picture is so small, but here's my dad enjoying a moment catching up with family.
Adie was really curious about death, the afterlife, the funeral, etc. She still talks about how Grandma Savage died and is in heaven and how she was a good woman. It's been a great opportunity to talk with her more about what we believe. When we were told we could take a flower from the casket as a memento, she thought that was way too cool and kept going back for more. I think we finally got a handle on the situation after she had helped herself to about 4 flowers.
I know my Grandpa Savage really misses his wife. They were the cutest couple and in the last few years, I think they grew even closer to one another as my grandpa had a larger role to play in taking care of my grandma. What a great example of love and service they have been to me.
3 comments:
My condolences. We will keep you in our prayers!
I am glad that the funeral went well for you. I am pretty sure I missed a lot of important things when breastfeeding. Like family pictures :) I must say, I am curious to hear this doodely -doo song of yours.
In the picture looking at your Grandpa Savage, there is a woman in the background who looks like Sheron Drake. Is that her name? If so, she was my substitute while I was on maternity leave. I had her son in my class. She was such a wonderful, supporting parent. She was also an incredible substitute. She did a much better job than I did!:).
I agree, funerals are a good way to celebrate the person lost, but also hard to say goodbye. My grandpa passed away last year at 90 years old. He was ready to go, but it still is hard to see someone you have known your whole life leave. I'm glad that Adie has been able to understand a little bit.
Post a Comment