As usual I have an opinion. And as usual, I'm going to share it. Google's gone too far this time.
Google just released a new tool called Buzz. It's trying to be the next, better social networking tool. I have purposefully avoided Facebook and Myspace because I really don't like having all that information running around out there. It's too unpredictable. In fact, I've even considered having a private blog, but haven't made the decision to go there yet.
The problem with Buzz is that if you are a Gmail user (like everyone I know is) they opt you in by default. They change some of your privacy settings and automatically try to connect you to more people. I have just one thing to say about this. Turn Buzz off. Seriously. Google's gone too far. You are likely sharing my information/email address right now. And your mom's. And your siblings. And the information of the guy you emailed a couple times about a textbook.
Now some of this depends on how much information given Google already along with your profile setup. But this does affect many of you reading this post. Here's a link to another blog/rant about it: link It goes into it in more detail about what's actually going on. And here's a link that actually steps through everything you need to do to eliminate Buzz: link. (thanks cnet!)
And if you have read this and genuinely want to remove Buzz from your life, at the bottom of your Gmail inbox, there's a link to "turn buzz off", click it. And then encourage everyone you know to turn it off too. Google's just gone too far this time in auto-sharing this information.
5 comments:
Thanks for the tip!
I completely agree! Who needs another dang social networking tool anyway?? I hear so many people complain about how busy they are, and yet they are CONSTANTLY on facebook or blogs. Freakin' social networking HOLES. :) I'm a total hypocrite, I know!;)
Thank you. Done.
I just blocked Sabrina on buzz. I hope there are no hard feelings.
Thanks! I just got rid of mine. Also considering making my blog private and getting rid of Facebook. Having a baby really makes me rethink how public all this information is! It's not just my husband and I who I need to protect now.
Post a Comment