Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ignorance is Bliss

If you want to keep eating your food in peace, please don't read The China Study, which I have mentioned previously. And, please don't watch Food, Inc. I just watched it this afternoon. I've been meaning to do it for some time now. It made me mad, it made my cry and it makes me all that much more excited about having my own garden, planted w/ non-GMO heirloom seeds (seedlings sprouting currently!). I wish I could grow all my food and control it from seed to our family's mouths. Sometimes, I wish I lived in a simpler time period, in an agrarian society (w/ indoor plumbing, of course).

In any case, as with all documentaries, it's biased, but it does raise some disturbing and interesting points. I don't agree with all the politics it calls for, but I do like that it highlights how much of a oligarchical fascist country we've become. Goodbye democratic republic :( I had already read quite a bit about what was presented, but it was nice to see it all put together poignantly and succinctly.

When it comes to what you eat, ignorance is bliss. However, please remember, for those of you believing LDS out there, Joseph Smith did say we can't be saved in ignorance. Let's all be more educated about all our choices. Every food we put in our mouth is causing chemical reactions within our bodies for either good or ill, affecting our health in ways we probably don't often realize, not just our weight or shape. I want to be make more informed food choices, hence my obsession in the last year or so with reading and researching food and nutrition. It's hard to break out of the system, but if we all start doing it, it's possible we'll see change (that is if we can take on Monsanto - boo!).

Has anyone seen the movie? Any dissenting view points? I am curious what others think about our current food situation in the US.

5 comments:

Megan said...

When it comes right down to it I just really can't believe God would have it be this complicated. Afterall societies for years lived on rice and beans.

Olya said...

I've been doing the same you have for the last couple of years as well. And I TOTALLY agree that ignorance is bliss, unfortunately. I've been trying to make everything from scratch, including our crackers, etc... using only natural/organic ingredients, whenever possible. It doesn't take that much more time, but it tastes better (for my husband and kids, too). I've kind of decided to stop researching at some point though, because the more you learn the more you understand how messed up everything is and it just makes you scared for yourself and your family. Oh well, I love gardening though and we still have our produce from last summer :).

Candi Criddle said...

I liked that movie, except for the part where the Stonyfield farm guy blamed capitalism for food problems, but then was all excited about his stuff being carried at Walmart. I wanted to shake him a little bit.
Also I need to get a deep freeze so I can buy a side of beef all at once from the same cow.

alisquire said...

I haven't seen the movie, though I've heard of it. Have you read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver? You probably have, but if not, it sounds like it's right up your alley.

Shannon said...

Ever since working at a health food store in college and reading the dictionary of food additives I have been so frustrated by the whole food system too. Once you learn you can't go back!

Have you read Michael Pollan's books? Or Animal, Vegetable, Miracle? Along the same lines... it is really crazy how corporations have taken over our diets (and farms). I think we need to make the best choices we can and make/grow as much of our own food as we can, though it is hard to stay completely away from harmful companies and products.