Friday, November 20, 2009

Worth the Read

My friend sent me this article yesterday and it's really worth the read. I especially liked this quote:

"We are a nation of hyper-consumers. We encourage our children to major in consumption and minor in frugality!"

This is a topic Brett and I discuss a lot. We'd like to not be hyper-consumers but it seems there is always something "worth buying" and it's hard to just be content with what we have at present. We try to be somewhat frugal and, at least, informed consumers, but I still feel our house is too full of stuff. How do we simplify? Any good ideas?

4 comments:

Leilani said...

Good article. We were watching a show on HGTV called "Dream Home" where they built this huge house and then ended up having to sell it because they couldn't afford the payments. It's good to be reminded to live below our means and be content.

Shanny said...

Well, one good way to simplify is think about what you would do if Brett lost his job. It makes you realize how little you actually need, and what you could easily do without.

Ben said...

Sabrina,
Thanks for passing that along. It's an interesting read.

We're certainly not the ones to give you any advice on keeping your home uncluttered as ours is full of stuff that weren't needs.

If you find something that works be sure to pass it on.

Shannon,
I think that's a good exercise and one I try and engage in mentally fairly regularly. [I mean of course for the literal minded, that I were to lost my job, not what I'd do if Brett lost his job. This is I suppose a little self-interested and I'll have to spend some time worrying about what I'd do if Brett lost his job.] But I'm not sure it helps that much... it makes it easy to separate needs from wants. But there's nothing wrong with satisfying some wants. In fact it may make great economic sense in some cases. (For example, if it helps one relax making that person a better worker who acquires more wealth.) It's figuring out how much to self-indulge that is the challenge. That is how much below one's means must one live, not if one must live below one's means.

[Though the self-indulgence of the type in the article isn't necessarily what we're discussing here.]

--Ben.

Em said...

Thanks for posting this! We always need reminders.