This week was quite a growing week for Adie. She has used her potty a few times, although most of the time she's still resistant. We're taking a laid back approach with the potty training so I have no specific timetable (although it would be really nice if she's out of diapers before the new little one comes). I just ask her often if she needs to sit on the potty. She's gone for several hours in underpants though without a miss. She has definitely decided that she doesn't like having anything but a clean diaper, so that's a great step in the right direction. Actually, I think she'd just prefer to not have to eliminate anything, but soon enough she'll catch on that that is just unavoidable and using the toilet is the cleanest way to go. At least, in theory that is what I am hoping to have happen. So far, we're making progress.
One down side to teaching her to hate having a dirty diaper is she'll take the liberty of taking it off herself. Case in point, we put her down for a nap yesterday afternoon and after about 15 minutes heard her screaming bloody murder. Brett went in to check what was wrong and found her pointing to her diaper which was only loosely on her. Then he saw poo sitting on the sheet next to her. She had taken off her diaper and dumped its contents into the bed. He called for back-up and I just thought the whole thing was hilarious, so hilarious I couldn't stop laughing. We made sure Adie knew we weren't mad at her so she stopped crying and now, when we bring up the incident to Adie she starts laughing hysterically about it too. I think she find potty humor very amusing. She also laughs at anything "stinky".
Her other big milestone was moving to a toddler bed. On Saturday, while Adie was supposed to be taking a nap, we heard a loud thud and then more of those bloody murder screams. We both rushed in and found her with a bloody nose. We couldn't evidence to recreate what really happened, but we assume she fell and hit her nose on the side of the crib. I decided that was that, it was time for the toddler bed (I've actually been thinking about it for some time since I was afraid she was getting tall enough she would start climbing out soon anyway). Saturday night was her first night in her toddler bed. She had a little bit of a hard time falling asleep, but once she did, she slept all night without a problem. Her nap yesterday was a different story. After the poo incident I think it was hard for her to calm down. She played in her bed for a while and then all of the sudden I heard a door shut and didn't think it was Brett. A few seconds later I could see a little shadow approaching our bedroom doorway. I knew she could open our doors, but didn't seem to be able to on a consistent basis. Well, it turns out, if she really wants to open a door, apparently, she can (we have those pull down handles which are easy for kids to open and hard to babyproof). Needless to say, she didn't get a nap yesterday, which is making her really cranky today. I am hoping she'll get one today. If not, I will resort to switching her locks so I can lock her in her room. I hate the thought of doing it, but she needs to take a nap or at least have quiet time, so I will do what needs to be done.
2 comments:
Those stories are hilarious! I can't believe she's grown so fast and is already in a toddler bed. Good luck with the potty training!
Wow -I can't believe she is doint all those "big girl" things. My sister put a gate on the door - that way she could not get out but she was not "locked in" - she put it on the outside so you could still open and shut the door while the gate was up. It worked well for her.
Post a Comment