Monday, February 23, 2009

First time for everything

Brett is a brave soul. A week ago we visited some family down here. They have four boys and the mom cuts all their hair for them, simple haircuts, using clippers. I think this got the wheels in Brett's head turning. He decided we should buy clippers and for the cost of two haircuts, I could give him unlimited haircuts. I admit, the idea is quite economical. However, I informed Brett he shouldn't trust me with a set of clippers. The only two times in my life that I ever used them were on my brother and our dog. Both of them ended up with bald spots. Mom, maybe you can speak as to why you allowed me to buzz Trent's head? Anyway, despite my warnings, Brett wanted to take the risk. After watching a YouTube video on men's haircuts and briefly reading the clipper directions, I went to work. I am sure anyone who knows anything about hair cutting could take a close look and find plenty of flaws, but overall, it turned out much better than I would have expected. Brett's hair is a little shorter than he would have asked a pro to do, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. Here's some photos of our haircut adventure:

Before - look at all that hair! It had been August since his last haircut (don't tell him it's been longer for me).

This picture does not do justice to the amount of hair on the floor. There was a substantial amount.
The finished product. Doesn't he look handsome!

I think I'd do it again if he wants me to. Of course, if he wants something more than an almost buzz, he's going to have to talk to someone else. However, I am far less intimidated by those little clippers now.

9 comments:

Ben said...

Unlimited of course would require better clippers than 20 dollars buys. We have pretty much worn out the pair we got in Provo. Unfortunately, the Costco around here doesn't seem to carry any. :(

Judy said...

He looks great!

Shanny said...

One of the first big fights in our marriage involved Clark handing me hair clippers and saying, "Go to it!" No, I had never cut anyone's hair before. No, he didn't know how to explain it to me. Tears, slamming doors, storming out. It was bad. But don't worry, we've got it down to a system now. He does most of it and then I blend it in. And sometimes I know it doesn't look great, but all is well again in about 3 days.

Brett had some mighty long hair going there. It looks good!

Leilani said...

I always have a hard time blending. Looks good!

Spencer said...

Very nice it's like a Bee-Gees to missionary transformation.
I tried to have Candi cut my hair a couple of times, she hated it, that's my only explanation for my current hair style.

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

Looks great! Don't worry, I have been cutting Justin's hair for months now and still can't get the art of it down! After the first few times of cutting it though, it actually gets fun!

Clark said...

I think guys have a tendency to forget that they have sat through dozens of their own haircuts. Working a pair of clippers really is a pretty simple thing once you've watched that many times.

Karen said...

I had a hard time for a while figuring out blending, but once I got a better idea of how to do it, Kevin's haircuts don't look so bad. However, I take FOREVER doing it, so he sometimes just prefers to go get it done. It just depends on his mood.

Sarah H said...

Awesome! You did a good job and Brett's new haircute looks great.
I have been cutting Jason's hair since we got engaged. It gets a little old but it does save money. And now I cut the boys hair too . That gets really old! They have kid hair cutting places here but i am sure they are a rip-off.