Friday, January 9, 2009

Movie Review

Sure, it's been almost a month, a very eventful month at that, and still, all you get is a movie review. That's because I can write it quickly. We just finished watching Expelled with Ben Stein. Have any of you out there seen it? If so, what did you think? It came out last Feb. For those of you who haven't even heard of it, it is sort of a documentary. I wouldn't really call it a documentary because it isn't at all objective. The producers certainly have an agenda and it's extremely obvious, so I guess it's more like the kind of film that Michael Moore would produce - a documentary, but not really. Anyway, its premise is to take on the issue of Intelligent Design and Darwinism, and how science treats that debate. While I have my own feelings about that particular topic, and I am not sure this movie really changed those, it is a very thought-provoking movie. It is also quite entertaining at some points and somber at others. I really, really enjoyed the film. It was probably my favorite from 2008, but I haven't watched many movies from the last year, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I highly recommend you picking it up at your local RedBox, or if you're lazy and don't care if you spend a few extra dollars, you can download it off iTunes for $4 for a night. I think the arguments it makes can be applied to broad range of so-called "controversial ideas" found in our societies and belief systems.

1 comment:

Larsica said...

Ok, so I watched the movie and I liked it (even though some of the black & white clips were a little silly) but my husband has been very into evolution ever since taking evolutionary biology at BYU and we have had several frustrating discussions. So I am curious about your thoughts on the subject.