I joined Facebook a few years ago, I don't remember exactly when, 2007 or so. Some time in early 2009 I decided to retire my account for multiple reasons, so I went to the trouble of actually deleting my account. I had a few reservations about doing so, but by the time I did it, I was hardly using Facebook anyway and when I did it was usually to waste time when I had other things to do. Now, 2.5 years later, I feel like Michael Jordan coming back out of retirement because I can't make up mind. I decided to reinstate my Facebook account. I've been contemplating doing it for a while now and what pushed me over the edge was the multiple times recently I've wanted to post things on our ward Relief Society's Facebook page and have had to have friends do it for me, or just not do it at all. I decided the convenience of it was worth it after all.
Guess what I had to do to reinstate my Facebook account? Just log in with the same log in info I had before. When I did so, everything was as it was 2.5 years ago. All of my friends were instantly back, my wall showed updates up to the time I last used it. Yes, folks, it doesn't matter if you "delete" your Facebook account, the info is still all there in their databases, floating around cyberspace. This is one of the reasons I decided to leave the Facebook world. However, I haven't put much info out there and don't intend to so I've decided it's safe enough. Besides, here I am blogging about our lives anyway, so it's not like I have the lowest profile on the Internet anyway. However, let this be a caution to you, if you haphazardly throw something out into the great wide world of the Internet just be aware that you may never be able to fully erase it.
Anyway, hello again, to all my Facebook friends. Let's see if I remain out of retirement this time.
4 comments:
Welcome back to the collective.
I surely hope that there is someone cyber-stalking me via facebook so they can get important info about me about my thoughts on college football, or tic tacs, or running.
If someone wants to get useful info about me, they'll be far better off to follow me home from work and around town and check public listings of property ownership and things like that. Oh, and digging through my trash. I don't worry much about the internet/facebook stuff, because I can actually control what info is there and what isn't.
Oh, and my last name makes me the easiest person in the world to track down.
That is sort of weird that they pretty much never deleted you. Glad to have you back in the cyber world ;)
You need to find Nathan and I! I tried looking for you but it didn't work too well. :)
Also, in relation to your previous post, there was a great article in the Church News my mom showed me about why we should put our children in public schools. Good examples for the world and all that. None of it was new, but it's still food for thought!
~Amanda
Find me on fb. I'd love to see more regular updates on you and your family.
Post a Comment