Monday, June 13, 2011

Waterworks

Well, we are 32 weeks into this pregnancy. Sorry, no belly shots. It's just not my thing, but you can be sure I have expanded quite a bit and often feel like I could pop any moment. It's amazing how much the human body can stretch.

This time around, as long as I continue to have a normal, healthy pregnancy, I am planning on a water birth. I absolutely love taking baths and it seems like a really good fit for me. I am hoping the pushing portion of labor will be a little less intense than it was with Chase this way. Since I have never done it this way before I decided doing a little research on what to do and what to expect was in order.

With this wonderful invention of the Internet I have all sorts of resources at my fingertips, such as YouTube. I know, I know, you have to take everything on the Internet with a grain of salt, but watching birthing videos is pretty straight forward. I had actually never watched one (don't know how I skipped it in health class) until I was preparing for Chase's birth and it's not like a make a habit of watching them, but they are somewhat helpful in the preparation, I believe. Now, getting the point of this post. Every time, EVERY TIME, I watch a birth video, the minute that little baby's head emerges I start to cry out of sheer joy and amazement. I will not have felt at all emotional prior, but seriously seeing that baby born is so incredible. Birth really is a miracle. I need to focus on that part when the going gets tough in the next few weeks when our still nameless boy #2 makes his appearance. Does anyone else get that way when they see birthing videos?

11 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

Well I haven't watch birthing videos, however, just he the thought of the end results gets me all emo. Not hard to make me cry nowadays ;) I will be interested to hear how the water birth goes. Actually I did watch a water birth when I was in college on TLC. I was totally traumatized because the lady was almost completely naked and I couldn't fathom showing all my glory like that!

Sarah and Wes said...

I cry too. Especially seeing the joy and amazement of the mom. And I think it's partly because i wish that is more how West's birth was. I'm really hoping that this next baby will be a VBAC so I can have more of that kind of experienc. Good luck with the water birth! I think you are amazing.

Megan said...

In every class that has ever showed them I've had to leave because I couldn't take them. So it kind of shocks me I survived the process thrice. So I find it amusing that people can choose to watch them on youtube and that others choose to upload that experience to youtube.

Shanny said...

A) I don't think we can be sure that you've expanded quite a bit. I think we need pictures ;)

B) I don't watch many birthing videos, but I have watched many TLC programs, and I most certainly do get emotional when the baby is born. In fact, I'm pretty sure I get emotional when I'm just hearing/reading a birth account at the moment the baby is born. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing.

C) Clark wishes me to say that he definitely doesn't watch birthing videos, but if he did he thinks his reaction would be: "Ew."

Karen said...

The one birth video that really made me cry was watching a c-section and feeling like I really could not go through with that again. I immediately called the hospital, got the name of a dr. who does VBACs there and moved forward with that.

My friend just had her third and also did a water birth. http://www.nathanandfiona.com/page/2 go there! It is the second post, but the first post about placenta ingestion is interesting. Not to say that I will do it, but she documented it very well. I used to work with her at the BYU Telefund. Let me know what you think when you've read it. I think the water birth part will be encouraging.

Autumn said...

I totally cry when I see a birthing video or anyone giving birth on a movie or tv. Weird to get so emotional over total strangers but I've become a total baby!

Diana said...

I remember the first birth I saw in nursing school. I was helping hold legs, so I saw the baby come right out. As soon as he started crying, parents started crying. And then I started crying, too. It was just so amazing. I tried really hard to hide the tears, though, to appear more professional. That sure seems like a long time ago. I can't really imagine being on the other side and being the one in labor.

Sarah H said...

Oh my goodness where I have been? I didn't even know you were pregnant. I'm so sorry. Congratulations! I have been on my blogs so little these days.
You know that I love birth videos too (though I've even not being doing that lately) and birth is just such a miraculous event! I wish you all the best and I hope everything goes well. I'm so happy for you and I will hopefully be checking my blogs more often to follow up with the pregnancy and birth.

Lauren said...

I get so emotional! It's crazy because I'll be like "ew, ew, ew! ow, ow, ow!" watching something and then the waterworks come.

Karen said...

Yup! Every single video and every single birth I've attended. :) Birth is so freakin' amazing!

Shannon said...

Diana told me about this--you are amazing! Seriously, I cannot believe it. You'll have to describe the experience so I can hear more about it after the baby comes.

ps, I just saw your comment about vegan cheese--have you tried the Veggie Shreds or Rice Shreds? I honestly can barely tell a difference when it's melted on pizza or sandwiches.