Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I Love My Garden

Well, it's high time I get caught up on my backlog of photos and events. We've been busy the last few months and hardly taken any pictures. I know, awesome of me. I'll do my best to at least give you an idea of what we've been doing. First, we've been enjoying our garden and trees, and we are finally starting to really harvest. I really enjoy gardening. There is something so gratifying about watching your plants take off and actually produce food you can eat. Last summer, after attempting many different veggies and herbs, we only ended up with tomatoes, zucchini and basil. This year has been much for fruitful (pun intended).

So, here is our garden and it is even fuller now, actually, since I took these pics about a week ago. We've been harvesting greens for a while: spinach, kale, lettuce, broccoli. However, I've pulled the broccoli and spinach since they've gone to seed. I am surprised how well they have all held up in this heat though. We have carrots that we're waiting a little longer on, but they're about 3 inches right now and really yummy. Our corn has really taken off and new corn silk is popping out everyday. We have a couple of sunflowers and marigolds, our strawberries are starting to turn red and we have quite a few green tomatoes, with lots of blossoms for more. I don't know if any beans will actually be harvested. The plants stay green, but I've only seen a couple of blossoms. I think it's too hot for them. Our canteloupe plants are crazy and our zucchini and yellow squash are all sorts of full of blossoms, so I expect to be harvesting them pretty soon. We also have a watermelon plant which seemed pretty dormant, but it's starting to take off. I am crossing my fingers on our pumpkin and cucumber plants. Not sure they are going to do anything this year. Anyway, lots and lots of fun.

Here is some spinach and kale I harvested a while ago for a green smoothie. Totally delicious!

Lettuce for a salad and we made a green smoothie with the last of the spinach here, combined with the entire carrot, greens included.

Most of our trees seems to be thriving, but this guy in particular grows inches per week, seriously. It's an asian pear tree and when we bought it a year ago Adie was definitely taller than it. It's over 8 feet now. We have only seen one pear on it, but that's ok because the first few years you often can't expect much fruit. We just hope its roots are looking as good as its top.

And here is our one token pear. We'll see if it gets to maturity.

This has little to do with our garden, but they were so pretty I thought I'd put them on here. I was really tired and not feeling well a week or two ago, so Brett went out grocery shopping in the evening for me and brought these home with our groceries. I love sunflowers. I wish more than a couple would grow in our garden. They made things nice and cheery in our house for a few days.

5 comments:

Judy said...

I'm jealous of your fresh vegies. We should have zucchini in less than a week. Yum!

Jamie said...

We have an asian pear tree as well. I don't really like pears - but I had never had an asian pear before - I actually quite like them. And they are good canned as well.

Shanny said...

Adie looks really tall next to that tree. How tall is she these days?

I'm so glad your garden is doing well (and a wee bit jealous that you have one)!

Sarah and Wes said...

Wow, I'm very impressed! I really need to get into those green smoothies. I've been hearing a lot about them. I'm actually helping out with my mom's garden this year, and it isn't ready to harvest yet, but it's already so satisfying seeing the plants grow!

Karen said...

Go you!!