Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Beware the Cold!

Last night, I experienced the worst cold I have ever had. Well, I have had it for a few days and I thought I was over the worst of it because I have had a few not-so-stellar nights, but this night took the cake by a mile. Normally, when I get colds they run me down a little and it might take me an extra few minutes to fall asleep due to coughing or switchage (a term coined by my friend referring to how one nostril gets blocked and then you switch sides you are sleeping on and the one side clears and the other side becomes blocked). After trying to sleep for 3 hours, which was, mind you, after taking a sleeping aid (which is usually a rare occurrence for me and I have multiple reasons for doing so now), I broke down like a little baby. I just started crying in bed. My eyes were stinging from the fatigue since I'd only gotten about 5 hours of sleep the previous night and I could barely breathe from the post-nasal drip I was experiencing (I know you all love the detail). It's interesting because last evening my friend and I were talking about her daughter being up all hours of the night since she has, I would assume, the same thing I do. She said her daughter was very dramatic about the whole thing, and now, I can honestly say, I was probably just as dramatic and totally can empathize. It was complete misery. I had no idea a little cold could get me down like that. Luckily, I did finally get to sleep and only woke a few times and was able to go back to sleep in fairly short order. However, this is a cold not soon to be forgotten. I don't wish it upon any of you.

8 comments:

Kati said...

I'm so sorry. I had something similar when I was pregnant with the twins. I was so horribly sick and then it turned to a sinus infection. The pain was horrible. I cried on night too, but that just made things worse. I hope you get better soon.

Karen said...

Get better! So sorry to hear you don't feel well.

Sarah and Wes said...

Ah shucks!!! I sleep terribly when I can't breathe. Hope you never get a cold like it again!

Shanny said...

I've got to ask, did the crying clear the stuffiness? Or just make it worse?

I hope you're feeling better soon!

The McCloys said...

I have had that cold too, no fun. I have my humidifier next to me as I type. I am sorry you got a bad nights sleep, let me know if you need anything.

Karen said...

ohh man! That is beyond frustrating! I would rather have a number of illnesses than a bad cold. I can't sleep when I can't breathe and then I turn into a miserable mess. Sometimes the only way I can sleep is in a really steamy bathroom etc... (I found a couple cough drops/herbal remedies that help with non stop coughing/stuffiness. If you are interested call or email me!) Hope today is better, I feel for you!

Judy said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Get well soon.

Hoenes Family said...

OH YOU POOR GIRL! Your detail really did make me have sympathy for you. Maybe I was a little too harsh on Kenzi..... I am glad you were finally able to sleep. I hope that you are able to enjoy your birthday tomorrow! Being sick really is the worst.