Ok, that makes this sound worse than it is. However, for what seemed like the last hour I have been scouring the Internet to find one item and I can't find it anywhere, so I am really bugged. This item is a slipcover for a rounded-back dining room chair.
Background: My mother's friend recently moved out of a larger home into a smaller home. She, therefore, decided to get rid of the large oak table and chairs that fit in her larger home, but not so well in her smaller one. She offered them to my mom, but my mom purchased a new table not so long ago, so my mom offered them to us. We gladly accepted because we have one of those small tables you get for somewhere around $200 at RC Willey. They are great for apartment living, but now that we are moving, the oak table is very appealing. However, I am not really a huge fan of the design of said chairs. They have something akin to a small wagon wheel design on the back of them. Now, don't get me wrong, if you are into the wagon wheel look, that is fine, but it's not really my cup of tea. I thought, hey, no big deal, I'll just buy some inexpensive slipcovers for these puppies and all will be well.
I began my search for these slipcovers today, but it appears you can't buy dining room chair slipcovers for rounded-back chairs; although their rectangle-back counterparts have numerous varieties to choose from. I have checked at every specialized slipcover retailer I can find online, as well as your normal home decor / department store and there is nothing. Not. One. Thing! Does anyone know of some place I can look that maybe I have overlooked?
I really try not to be too materialistic about things (however unsuccessful my efforts often are) so I don't want to not use such a nice table / chair set simply because of the design. It doesn't make sense to pay for a new table when you have that at your disposal. However, is it really too much to ask to be able to spruce them up with some slipcovers? We have already gone nearly 5 years with our less-than-fashionable couches (that we got for a very good price - free) without slipcovers because they have a wavy back and I was unsuccessful at finding slipcovers for their weird shape as well. Something's gotta give. I am pretty sure there are plenty of rounded-back dining room chairs that could use covering so why can't I find any covers for them.
I am soliciting advice from anyone who may know where to purchase these elusive items, or at least advice on how to swallow my pride and just take the nice dining set without complaint and the need to change it. Who cares how nice your stuff really looks anyway, right?
3 comments:
Wow, that is pretty ridiculous that they don't have any round back slipcovers. My only suggestions are probably crappy ones, but here they are:
1) You could try and make slipcovers yourself.
2) Maybe Handyman Brett could take off the wagon wheel design?
3) Get a Wagon Wheel table to match, and resign yourself to a "pioneer" themed house.
Hey, we have the same chairs and it would be sooo nice to cover them up. I found a couple sites. The first one...well...it might make your chairs uglier
http://todoes.com/DressUPs.html
The second one comes WITH the chair...hah
http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Linens-Fabrics/Slipcovers/Louis-Side-Chair-Slipcover-Linen/p/8658?path=1%2C2%2C1465%2C1514%2C0&iProductID=8658
And the third one....they're wedding chair covers...maybe a little too fancy
http://www.efavormart.com/chaircoverandsashes.aspx?referral=adwords&kw=Chair_Covers&gclid=CPeOw7_v8JYCFRIcawodMU-KYA
I guess I would suggest getting the square ones a little big and then running a stitch on the corners to make it round. Good Luck!
Here's my suggestion for what it's worth (probably not much since I don't know much about sewing): look for slipcovers that have a seam along the top, remove the stitching, cut the covers to match your chair back, and then re-stitch. I’m sure this is much easier written than done.
Post a Comment