We have had a quite a debate going on a previous post about the remaining candidates, and being we are one day away from Super Tuesday, I think I will make yet another political post, stating and finalizing my position to vote for Ron Paul. First off though, thank you to everyone who has offered their opinions and analysis. One of the reasons this country is so great is we can do this very thing, debate the issues and choose for ourselves. This dialogue is important so we become informed voters. So, with that preamble, I am going to dive into a very long post. For those of you not interested in this topic, this might be your jumping-off point. For those of you choosing to stay on board, thanks for giving my viewpoint the time of day and some consideration. As always, I welcome and encourage your comments / critiques even if they don't align with my ideas. In fact, I expect a lot of you don't agree. The only other person I know that does agree with me right now is Karen, but I still respect all your opinions!
First, I'd like to explain why I am NOT supporting the other remaining candidates, and I'll start by addressing the Democratic Party. I have long said I remain unaffiliated with either party. Both have their pros and cons, and neither one really encompasses all that I believe. However, in Utah, I probably have more Democratic leanings (most Demo's in Utah are really just moderate GOP on a national level). I am often annoyed by the Utah Republican party attempting to form a Mormon theocracy and doing favors for big business, which is far from real conservatism.
At the national level, however, I can't support the liberalism of the Democratic Party, and I actually don't mean that in terms of abortion and gay rights (while I am pro-life, abortion is not a pivotal issue for me, and I am probably a lot more liberal about gay rights than a lot of people in these parts). The issue that most concerns me is giving the national government more control. That is dangerous business. Both remaining candidates promote universal health care, gun control, more support of labor unions, etc.
Now, on the surface this looks good. What's wrong with trying to help everyone have health care? What's wrong with trying to keep guns out of violent hands and off our streets? What's wrong with protecting the rights of workers? Those are very noble goals. I think the majority of us want a safer, more prosperous, more healthy society. The problem is, the government shouldn't compel us to have this. This should be each individual's choice.
Universal health care is socialism, pure and simple. We pay the government a very large chunk of our pay check and they make sure we have at least basic health care needs met. In my heart of hearts, I am a socialist, well probably more accurately, a communist. In fact, if you believe in Mormon theology, you have to believe somewhat in it too. We believe, in the millennium, we will have all things in common. Everyone will have what they need, everyone will prosper and we won't class distinction. We'll be living in a 4th Nephi world, and I can't wait! However, at that time, I believe, we will choose to live that way. We will want to share. We won't want to look better than others by having more than the next person. No one will want to take advantage of one another. Finally, Christ will be our supreme ruler, which will ensure no corruption and true charity.
However, that is not the world we live in currently. In order to get people to share or not take advantage of one another we need to have the government monitor. The problem with that is the power to distribute, in this case, health care, is given to a very small group of people. Some of these people may have our best interests at heart, but most of the time, the adage that absolute power corrupts absolutely still remains in force, and history has proven it time and time again. If you give power to only a few, they become greedy for it, and they will seek more. This is true of any socialist / communist program. Those that have risen to the top only do things that help themselves and their friends. So, you have corrupt people at the top and the people at the bottom resent those with all the power. Remember, people can't be compelled to share, they must choose to. So, this applies to all socialist / communist programs our government already has or is proposing to put into place, i.e., social security, medicaid, proposed universal health care, etc.
As a final quick note on the socialist programs of our government - they cost a lot, and we're going to be the ones left paying for it for generations to come, because the expenses are too great for the current generation, who is receiving the benefits, to handle. Our deficits will continue to go up, as will our taxes, and we will never get ahead.
Now, on to gun control...I have never handled a gun in my entire life, not do I intend to, unless it is in a dire, dire situation. It's just not my thing. However, I am a very strong advocate of the second amendment. Remember, the founding fathers came from a very oppressive government, which is why they limited our government's powers so much in the Constitution. These men recognized the need for each individual to be able to defend themselves should the government become as corrupt as England's had at the time of the revolution. Many of you probably laugh at the thought of an up-rising against the government, common man wielding their shot guns against a corrupt US government. However, the possibility is more real than you think. There are a lot of very powerful people out there, with vast amounts of money, who want to control as much of the money in the world as they can. Their power already runs deep within many of the world's governments, including ours, and honestly, there may come a day when we are really grateful we have our second amendment rights or really sorry we gave them up.
I could keep going on about giving the government more power, but I'll leave it at that. The two main points I hope I made though are many of the plans Demo's want to implement will 1) concentrate a lot of power into a small group of people's hands, compelling the public to do and to pay what they say and taking away people's rights to choose, and further corrupting those with the power, and 2) taking away people's individual liberties, which help protect personal freedom for each person (horrible run-on sentence, I know).
With that being said, I like to think most Democrats want to implement their government programs because they want to honestly help each individual. They don't want anyone to fall through the cracks the pure capitalists will inevitably leave behind. This is, personally, the kind of ideal I feel Obama espouses. I get the impression he just wants to help out the downtrodden and make life more equitable for everyone in the US. I just don't agree with his proposed method of doing it by giving the government more power. Even if he does have honest intentions, who's to say those who follow him will? It's much harder to get rid of that power once it's been given to government. Future leaders could exploit it. We should always remember why the founding fathers limited the government's power. They know how evil and corrupt people can get, especially in positions of power. I want to like Obama, but I can't support him for those reasons.
On to Hillary...I don't even believe she cares a lick about helping out the American people. If you do your research, you'll find she and Bill have connections in very high places, where the money is. I strongly believe she is in it to serve these people's best interests. They want her to win and are doing everything they can to manipulate the election so she does win and they get their interests met. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe elections are rigged, I believe the international bankers basically manipulate and rule the world as much as they can, and I believe Bill was and Hillary is their puppet on American soil to achieve their goals. I will not vote for her at any cost.
Ok, I have beaten the Demo horse to death, so on to the Republican candidates. I actually feel there are only slight differences between McCain, Huckabee and Romney. They all want to continue the war in Iraq until they reach the arbitrary point that we can claim "victory". They all say they want to balance the budget and lower taxes. I find these two positions, however, contradictory. I would be interested to see how they can take in less money than they are currently and maintain a troop surge in Iraq, as well as continue all our other military pursuits, and then take care of all the veterans who return home from their tours of duty. We are running up billions of dollars a day in deficit to maintain our current military pace. I want to know what other programs or government expenditures they plan to cut in order to charge us less, keep our country's debt in check and still win in Iraq. I haven't seen or heard any concrete plans from any of them on this issue. They just claim they can. I think Romney's background makes him somewhat qualified, but I think this is a much bigger beast than he's ever dealt with before, so it would be interesting to see if he can pull it off. I'd trust him to do it more than the other two, however. McCain shows he knows nothing about economics and it appears he will just keep doing what Bush is doing, which is have no real plan, just keep spending until we "win". I know Huckabee has dealt with budgets as governor in Arkansas, but his record shows he doesn't cut taxes on a regular basis, so I'd be skeptical of him living up to that claim.
Now, to address each GOP candidates I am not voting for, individually...As I stated earlier, McCain shows he has no understanding in economics, and the economy is probably the single biggest problem we face as a country, as it's in major peril and affects, basically, everything else. I want someone who knows their stuff when it comes to history, economics, etc. McCain has proved none of that to me. I appreciate that he was a POW and am grateful for his service to his country, but I am tired of hearing about it all the time. He is also a name-dropper, which to me, indicates he just cares about his connections. I don't believe he is as well-connected as Hillary is, but I think he will mostly do favors for his friends and cares very little for the American people's wishes. He is also way to liberal when it comes to immigration law / reform and has threatened our first amendment rights with bills he's tried to pass. He'll basically be another Bush. He also would never beat either Hillary or Obama. He doesn't stand a chance.
Huckabee, to me, is actually a lot like Romney. He does have an interesting idea with the fair tax. I am not necessarily opposed to that idea just yet, but I am not completely convinced of it either. It would change how we managed our money and I think it would hurt the lower class, but I think it's worth a look. He does ride his religious high horse a bit too much. I am glad he's not ashamed of his beliefs but he's using them to get ahead and that doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth. It wouldn't kill me to have him get the nomination, but if I voted for him it wouldn't be with any enthusiasm.
Romney has a lot of support in these parts and for good reason. He really did lift the Olympics out of scandal and it ended up being a wonderfully successful event. He has a record of being a good man and an exceptional business man. He does have the credentials to address our economic issues. As I mentioned above, however, I would be interested to see how he plans to do it with all he's promising to do, and I was never impressed with his assertion that he'd like to double the size of Gitmo. More than anything, I guess, and this has little to do about politics and all to do with personal preference, I don't love that he has become a major representative to the nation of the LDS church. Sure, it's not official, and I know the church promotes no candidate, but people who don't understand see it that way. They will look to him and get some impression, if they don't have much of one already, of how Mormons are, and I don't like that because I don't think he represents us well. He is good man, but he's not inspiring. He doesn't rise above the filthy political games. He often acts smug in interviews and debates. He slings the mud, just like everyone else, every chance he gets. I guess I always wanted a "Mormon candidate" to rise above all the crap and set a higher ideal for the nation. He's failed to do that and that disappoints me. However, it wouldn't kill me to vote for him. I'd vote for him over the two Demo candidates and probably not have to plug my nose. He at least knows how to manage money and I believe he's an honest man.
As one final note on the Republican candidates, I actually think only one could beat the Democrats, given the chance, and that is Ron Paul. I know you're all rolling your eyes since you know I adamantly support him, but I'll tell you why I believe that way. Somewhere around 70% of the nation wants to get out of Iraq. All of the other GOP candidates will get defeated from that issue alone, I believe. Because RP wants to pull out also he has a fighting chance to beat the Demo's. If you had Ron Paul against either Hillary or Obama, you'd make the nation choose to either give the government more control, but worry less about getting your own health care, protecting your job, etc., which is honestly important to some people. Or, you'd choose to take power away from the government and gamble that it's better to let the free market run its course, meaning you aren't guaranteed things like health care or job security, but you'd maintain your personal liberties. It really is a compelling choice.
I know, I know, RP doesn't have a shot according to most people, but I am still holding out hope. No one can force him out until he is voted out of the primary. He keeps garnering support as people learn more about him and his positions, and he keeps getting money donated to his cause. He really looks to the root of the problems we are facing as a nation rather than trying to band-aid the symptoms. You wouldn't know that from the debates or news reports. They pretend he's not ever there and don't give him enough time to explain himself. The media has an interest in him not winning because he wouldn't do any special favors for them like any of the other candidates would be apt to do (most media moguls are or are affiliated with the international bankers who want to keep their control over the world's money). However, MTV (of all stations) did have a forum with him where young voters were able to ask him difficult questions and he was able to answer them without being cut off or interrupted or smirked at. Here is the link to this forum. It about 25 minutes of Ron Paul explaining his positions which is far more attention than he ever gets. Please at least watch it and go to polls informed as to why or why not you are voting for each candidate.
One other interesting point to ponder...Many GOP reject RP's ideas because he is not strong on national defense. However, he has received more donations from current and former military personnel than all the other GOP candidates combined. They believe he is strong on national defense because he will fight fights here to defend our freedoms and will make sure to take care of our vets. Many agree with his understanding about why we get into these wars, and why it is wrong. They've been there. They've seen the conflicts. I think they may just know about it a bit more than we do. Also, he, like McCain is also veteran. He served in the Air Force.
If you actually got this far in my post, I thank you for listening to my rant. I really, really don't mind debate, so please have at it. As I always say, the more educated we all are the better. And, please go vote tomorrow!
18 comments:
Are you referring to your other friend Karen, or me? I actually will not be voting for Ron Paul...sorry! Thank you for your thoughts...very thorough.
It is my other friend. Sorry, I should have put a P at the end.
"people can't be compelled to share, they must choose to"
If we all elect a candidate who has openly declared his/her intentions to enact socialized medicine, aren't we choosing to share?
"Many of you probably laugh at the thought of an up-rising against the government, common man wielding their shot guns against a corrupt US government. However, the possibility is more real than you think."
You can include me in that group. Not that I laugh so much as that I find the probability of popular revolt to be exceedingly small. I simply don't understand this assertion that is often made. I concede that the US government could become corrupt, and that the people could need to revolt and forcefully attempt to depose the military. What I don't see is why this would ever happen, or how millions of unorganized citizens with handguns would take out the military. Any such revolt seems to me a recipe for lawless anarchy, as I see no way for leadership for the masses to exist.
"I believe elections are rigged"
Then Hillary has already won.
As to Paul himself, I don't have strong opinions. I will have to find a time when I have 25 minutes to watch the link. (Another 25 minutes that is, after having read the post.)
Wow. That's all I can say is Wow.
You really are a conspiracy theorist and any respect that I once had for you has been lost. You accuse others of falling prey to crazy theories and notions yet you're views and opinions are every bit as deranged. You have truly entered the realm of nutcakery.
I'm just sitting here in shock and awe.
I applaud you for being very informed on all of the major candidates. What a post!
Check it out. Carrie Underwood posted on the blog. Man, she thinks that conspiracy theories are 'nutcakery'. And she's been put in 'shock and awe'. Maybe she can use that in a new song...
We spend almost 40% (and sometimes more) of our monthly income on health care. I'm looking for a candidate that can possibly change that (because there are a ton of people that make a whole lot less than me. How are they affording health care?).
The budget was at least balanced during the tail end of the Clinton years and I'm looking for somebody that can make that happen as well.
Everybody has their pet issues and needs to find (and support) the candidate that addresses them best (and I also appreciate that you are able to spell out your feelings in a coherent manner).
tysqui,
I think that 100% of americans believe that government run health care will most definitely change that 40% you pay. Of course, opinions differ as to whether that 40% would go up or down.
On the topic of RP, I actually took a minute to review his website. It was informative. He certainly favors a much decreased role in world military conflicts. We would leave Iraq, and he indicates that he would support massive US troop withdrawal from places like S. Korea. He also supports leaving the UN. This would be the most massive foreign policy shift since . . . the Monroe Doctrine? Foreseeing the impact of such a change would be difficult, I think. There is something to be said for small changes.
That said, a nice nutcake with a glass of milk really is nice.
They are but 4 people who can win at this time. (Sorry Karen, but it's not just because I say so). Of the 4 one of them is not like the others.
CA is in reach, and many of you know people there who can vote.
Here's the short URL to an argument about CA: (you may have to scroll, but this blog hates URLs)
http://blog.electromneyin2008.com/
So if you pick Ron Paul, just understand you are picking McCain to face Clinton/Obama and that is picking Clinton/Obama. And if McCain/Clinton doesn't scare you, well then why did you post that it does???
Wow, lots of good comments already. Keep 'em coming! In response...
Clark: I should have been clear about my choosing to share comment. I believe each individual adult should be allowed to choose if they want to put their money in a pot and allow the government to spend it for the administration of health care, as other things like retirement. I wish I could get out of social security since there probably won't be enough money for me when my time comes, so I'd rather put that money in my own retirement account, but I don't have that choice. Also, it is probably a very small chance we would need to have an uprising against the government. I just want the option should it come to that. If you believe in prophecy you know there are some crazy things to come in the last days. I don't rule out any possibilities. Finally, unfortunately, I think Hillary probably already has won, but I hope I'm wrong. I am ok with being wrong about any of that.
Carrie, or should I say Miss Underwood: Thanks for reading our blog. I sure wish I knew you're real name. However, the more important thing here is I apologize if I was disrespectful towards other opinions and beliefs. I didn't mean to be. I was trying to be respectful and realize what I write are opinions so I hope I don't offend others. As for being a nutcake, probably, but those who know me best aren't surprised by that. Besides, I am a young mother, so my lack of sleep could contribute to my mental stability.
Brett: Our blog is getting really popular! Ron Paul and Carrie Underwood have visited. Imagine who else might be reading!
Tyler: I agree health care is a huge issue. Our health insurance takes that much away from our income as well. Additionally, after I quit my job, I was denied an individual policy from any insurance company I talked to because of some medication I was taking. Because we couldn't COBRA, being that that would have taken up almost our whole monthly income (I had a really good insurance plan at Novell), we needed to get an individual policy. I was afraid I would have to go without insurance for a time. However, luckily, Brett is still a student so we were able to get BYU insurance. It's not our favorite, and we could have gotten better coverage for the same price we currently pay on an individual plan, but we are blessed to have what we do. That being said, I feel RP's plan to strengthen the economy and hopefully bring back our purchasing power through restoring stability to our currency will help drive insurance costs down, which is why I can still support him on the issue of health care.
Ben: At least for me, I am going to vote for Ron Paul no matter what, but my vote here in Utah won't matter. Romney will get the overwhelming majority. I still want my minuscule voice to be heard nonetheless. Unfortunately though, as I stated in my post, I don't think Romney or McCain can beat either Hillary or Obama. Their national defense stance is very unpopular for a majority of Americans.
I think the biggest problem with RP is his Iraq stance (other foreign policy included). Nobody has any idea what will actually happen to the terrorist situation if we completely withdraw all of our troops from other parts of the world. I believe that the animosity that we see now is much less than it would be if we cut bait and ran. Furthermore how much power does the President actually have? Can he/she really just decided that they don't want the IRS anymore, and it suddenly becomes non-existent? I don't think so.
I don't think the GOP candidates will get beat up by the Dems on the Iraq issue, granted most of the country seems to want us out of Iraq at this point, but most people understand that it isn't something we can just duck out of at this point. Plus I think some of the media exaggeration (of the doom/gloom) has been dispelled. However I am just one person.
Finally, I think that a little too much blame has been put on GW for our present position. There are about 2000 other people that work in DC, most of them voted or at least supported the initial insurgence in Iraq (including Hillary). In other words I think too many people are just trying to use GW as their little cop out for taking responsibility for the current position we are in with regard to our home economics and foreign policy.
Personally I would like to see a split ticket. I think we would be better off to get one candidate from each party and put them both in charge, obviously one would have to be the final word but at least if you had the two very different perspectives you could get a better solution, hopefully. I would like a Romney/Obama ticket, I know it sounds crazy, and on principle alone I don't agree with Obama, but I am quite sure he is very smart and can probably offer a lot in the way of ideas and solutions. Sorry for the lengthy comment.
Heretofore let it be known that I am a partaker of nutcakery. Delicious, and very satisfying.
I am the husband of Karen my 12 cow wife.
It pleases me to see so many engaged in thoughtful consideration of the political choices that are so everpresent in this brief moment of the great history of our nation.
Politics can be a difficult topic to discuss. Perhaps even more so that religion. With religion, the discussion is always ended with the believer stating that it is their personal feelings that have led them to their conclusions. How can you argue with someone who claims to have had divine revelation, or more aptly a "burning in the bosom".
With politics, the passion and feelings are almost as intense; however, the person expressing their beliefs is required to provide facts, figures and examples to back up their position and why it is the best choice.
From both sides of the debate, one must proceed with caution. Particularly when discussing among frieds and feelings are deeply felt and should be treaded upon lightly - if at all. Defending ones position cannot be done with straw man arguments. This becomes an even more slippery slope if attempting to degrade the others postion using this tactic.
Blogs have their place in constructing the voice of America, local communities and even groups of friends. However, they are also subject to quickly typed thoughts that are not well thought and communicating the wrong intent.
Clearly, you can tell I'm abusing the concept of the blog with my verbose post.
My point is simple, you cannot simply call someone names - so to speak - and think that everyone will agree that your point has been made. Back up your position, ensure that it is fully vetted.
I have made these issues the number one focus of my life for the last several years and there is much to be said.
For now, I shall say what I began with. I am a partaker of nutcakery as defined by the mindless sheeple amongst whom we must live.
Okay, like, now I'm going to try a normal blog. Including the crappy speling and such (even though the one I just posted had crappy spelling).
I support Ron Paul, and I was very impressed by Sabrina's post. It was well spoken. Hurray!
I also look forward to breaking my own rules and matching the tone and pace of future bloggers, assuming I can find time.
Sabrina:
A great post! And I thought my little post about politics was long...i'm just afraid to voice my opinion because I'm worried people won't think I'm a good Mormon for not voting for Romney. Anytime anyone in my ward talks about it it's with the assumption that we're all voting for Romney! So you're awesome to explain your positions and thoughts so well. It makes me think favorable of ROn Paul.
But I voted for Obama and hope he wins. It will be tough though.
Here's a few thoughts on some other things:
Healthcare: My sister in law, a 24 year old uninsured working person, went to an urgent care at walgreen for a bladder infection and was also having chest pain (asthma) so they sent her to the ER. It cost her $8000. $8000 for a few hours!! That is just one example of why I am not against a universal health care system. Many other developed nations have it and do quite well with it. It would be a huge change for the US and it seems like many are adamently against it, so I don't know if it would ever happen, but I am not opposed.
Guns: There was a shooting here recently where 5 women were shot at the mall. Whenever I hear something like this I hear the sarcastic voice in my head saying "We need more guns, less control to solve these problems!" (Which is a case people try to make--it's absolutly backwards!) Dems aren't taking away everyones guns, just trying to make stricter laws!
Sarah H: "We need more guns, less control to solve these problems!" (Which is a case people try to make--it's absolutly backwards!)
It's not backwards, it's forwards as can be. Counter-intuitive is what you meant to say. What happens, is that in well armed societies, gunmen do not do significant damage in rampages. In unarmed situations they do.
Clark: If we all elect a candidate who has openly declared his/her intentions to enact socialized medicine, aren't we choosing to share?
Yes, but with the caveat if we all elect. (Since elect and choose are synonyms that's tautological.) But if we hold an election and 51% of people choose to steal from the other 49% then we didn't all elect to steal from the 49%.
Ron Paul is about as electable as Charlie Manson. While I believe he is easily the most intelligent, rational and logical of any of the candidates running, it is unfortunate that he becomes a blithering mad man when the cameras go live.
Romney was unelectable, he made the right choice in dropping out of the race. He recognized his defeat and cut his losses. The nation is ready for change and Mitt did not offer ANY. Romney is basically George W. redux and heaven knows we've had enough W in the last 8 years.
Huckabee is a moron. Anyone who actually believes the IRS can be abolished has never seen what they do to protect the nation. If the government is constitutionally enabled to levy taxes, it follows that they should be enabled to enforce the statutes which govern them as well.
McCain is the GOP's best bet for a win in November. Is he old? Yes. Is he an economic wiz kid? Absolutely not. Is he moderate enough to provide enough "change" incentive to woo fence sitting voters? YES.
The nation wants to get out of Iraq. Big deal. There is a reason that the constituency doesn't control the military. The U.S. public (and many of it's leaders) are blinded to the long term consequences of a premature withdrawl from Iraq. The initial invasion may have been a mistake but our presence and political intervention has created a situation in which the option of withdrawl is not one which is viable. Operation Enduring Freedom is not the first attempt at direct middle-eastern intervention and nation building the U.S. has undertaken. A premature withdrawl from Iraq now would also not be the first instance of the U.S. evacuating before the job is finished. The U.S. withdrawl from Afghanistan in the 1980s gives us insight into what an immediate withdrawl from Iraq would bring about. Guess what the consequence of the first premature withdrawl was? The Taliban, al-Qaeda, embassy bombings, the U.S.S. Cole and September 11, 2001. Leaving Iraq in it's current state of turmoil will provide an incubator in which radicals are able to come into maturity. Lets not relive past mistakes, people. Ignorance is dangerous, so educate yourselves before supporting immediate withdrawl and if you decide to support it, make sure you have empirical evidence to support your position.
Onto Obama- he is unelectable because he can't find his way out of left field. The man's position on gun control makes me want to join the NRA (an organization I hate, ironically). The founding fathers knew what it was to be oppressed and be forced to sacrifice life for liberty. They designed the second amendment to protect their sacrifice in the years to come. A disarmed public is a vulnerable public. Moreover, passing laws against the legality of gun ownership or legislating against the lawful carrying of a firearm only accomplishes one thing- it takes guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. This nation is saturated with firearms, the people who want to use them to knock off corner stores and hold you at gun point in a back alley are going to get them regardless of what the law says.
Hillary is the Democratic party's best bet for the White House. The U.S. is ready for change but I don't believe it is ready for an absolute 180 degree turn (Obama). Hillary is a raging liberal, don't get me wrong but her campaign has portrayed her as being the moderate of the front runners and when election season hits, all people remember is what the last campaign ad said, not how she voted.
My wife is telling me its time to be done so I'm done.
Regards to everyone,
Paul
One last comment about gun control- the majority of spree killings (mass shootings, shooting sprees, whatever you want to call them) take place in so called "gun free zones". A "gun free zone" is only gun free until someone decides they want to load up ten magazines magazines and go to work on an unsuspecting public.
Passing legislation that requires the citizenry to disarm only leaves the law abiding citizens vulnerable to this type of attack. Maybe if one of the kids at VT had stood up and fired back the tragic body count would have been minimized. Or maybe if there had been more than one armed law abiding citizen in Trolley Square the situation would have been resolved quicker.
The trick is not to legislate against guns (as so many liberals would like to believe), it is to legislate against the people who use them in crimes. Here is an example- what if the mere posession of a gun during the commission of a crime mandated a life sentence? Think that would be an effective deterrent to gun related violent crime? Would it stop spree killers? No, absolutely not but it might make the guy contemplating a convenient store robbery think twice before strapping up and demanding the money in the register.
Now what happens when we legislate against guns? Trolley Square. Killeen, TX. Virginia Tech.
My wife it says its time to be done again.
PS. Using spree killings to justify firearm legislation is not logical since they comprise about 1% of all gun related violent crime.
:)
You've been "Picture Tagged" by me! I would love to see your top 10 favorite pictures. See my blog for details. :)
Post a Comment