So, I realize we haven't posted in a little while. I think we both were worn out from all the political discussion we had going on so we took a bit of a break from posting. Anyway, on to my random thoughts for the day. Sabrina's mom is having some trouble with her computer. She's taking it in tomorrow to get looked at (I couldn't troubleshoot it over the phone). If it's broken down, she wondered what type of computer she should get. My initial reaction was "an iMac", and here's why:
1. I never used to be an apple fan. Well, I do admit really liking our family's old Apple IIc, but that was the last one we ever owned. I always thought Mac enthusiasts were a bit over the top. However, since we got ours I can honestly say that you don't have to be a nut to own a Mac.
2. Stability. I love the fact that this evening as I was encoding a movie to burn to a DVD, recording a TV show, re-encoding some home movies, with Photoshop up to do some touch ups to some pictures, I was able to pull up a web browser and not have noticable lag. That sort of thing would have crippled Windows. It's amazing.
3. Form factor. Can you tell me that it's not cool to have a huge LCD monitor be your whole computer?
4. It runs Windows, which I do care about still. It actually runs Windows quite well. My only complaint is that I can't run my computer game Starcraft in Windows because the resolution on my monitor only goes down to 800x600.
4 comments:
Don't get me wrong, I love my MacBook Pro but having worked in Desktop Support both in my current job and on campus previously, I take issue with your second point which you titled stability. The majority of the improvement that you see in all of the processes that you mentioned come not from the OS but from the CPU, GPU and the System BUS connecting them. The confusion mainly stems from the fact that most Windows processes are somewhat bloated, but which can be improved with a little work. Which is obviously a knock on Windows. But I'm still happy that you are able to run all of your programs without any problems.
Though Mac's hardware is just as controlled as their hardware. Since the PC market is open to any maker that would like to build, it sends quality control out the window. I am a mac guy, though right now I own two PCs, and I do agree that a well built PC will work much better than a cheap one, my dell is a piece as far as construction goes, but our desktop sony has lasted quite well without any major problems in years. Next computer purchase will be a mac, rest assured. Another nice feature is that not many hackers out there are targeting macs because they are still such a small portion of the market share.
oops I meant their hardware is just as controlled as their "software"
@jake
While I'm not going to disagree that good hardware definitely makes a difference as far as responsiveness and capability, do you have any data as far as windows vista (we'll compare to vista since it is the predominately available software on PCs you might purchase nowadays) handling multitasking? I realize I'm only going on "what feels fast", but I don't know that I've ever heard too many people brag about vista's multitasking abilities. Generally, they just complain about how slow/bloated it is, even those with decent systems.
Post a Comment