Monday, March 14, 2011

Viva Las Vegas!

Brett and I just got back from a short, kidless (yes!) trip to Vegas to watch BYU play in the Mountain West Conference Tournament. It's kind of humorous to me that we've lived here in Southern AZ for almost 2.5 years and have already traveled to Vegas, specifically to Vegas not just through it, 3 times. We don't even really like the place that much! However, it does have basketball tournaments, cheap hotels and is half way between us and family and friends in UT so it is a natural place to go, I suppose.

Even though I don't love Vegas overall, we had such a wonderful time. We met up with some UT friends, the Squires, and attended 6 basketball games, walked the strip, ate out a lot and saw the Phantom of the Opera at the Venetian. We also attempted to sleep in, which only partially worked. However, I did get a couple of morning naps in. We haven't gone many places without our kids, well, we had never left Chase overnight, and had only done it a couple of times before with Adie, so this was kind of a treat, especially since in August our brood increases to 3 (I don't think I've mentioned that here before so there's the official blog announcement). It was nice to have a relaxed schedule and not have to worry about taking care of anyone but ourselves, but we are happy to be home with the kids. A big thanks goes out to our friends, the Hoenes, for taking our children so we could party.

We only took a small handful of pictures, but here's a few.

Shopping at H&M. The horses are for you, Kim!

There's Jimmer right after his amazing performance against New Mexico. For those of you who don't follow college basketball, he scored 52 points that night and they finally beat New Mexico this year. It was such a fun game to watch.

Brett and I after the New Mexico game. Although Brett doesn't look super happy there, I can guarantee you, he was about as happy as he ever gets at the end of that game.

My cousin, Daniel, was also down there to watch the cougars so we got to meet up for a few minutes, which was a lot of fun.

Our little group after the last game of the tournament. We saw so much good basketball. It was a blast! BYU lost to San Diego State, which was a bummer, but not completely unsurprising. BYU was tired and it's hard to beat that good of a team 3 times in one season. The only 2 losses SDSU had the whole season were to BYU, so I guess they were out to prove themselves.

Here we are just before seeing Phantom. I've never seen it before, not even the movie. I've been saving myself for the actual play. I loved the music, but I already knew I would. I can't say it's my favorite story though. I think I would be fine if I never saw it again, but I am glad I got the opportunity to go though.

Before Phantom, we went to Claim Jumper for dinner and were too stuffed to eat the motherload chocolate cake, so we saved it for after the show. Here we are eating in the car at midnight. Ah, to be young again!

It was a fun getaway. Brett and I don't have a whole lot of overlapping hobbies, but watching college football and basketball is something we both thoroughly enjoy and I love that we can get into it together.

8 comments:

Megan said...

That cake looks delicious. After talking to you about Phantom we might wait a few years.

Julie said...

I am so jealous of you getting away without kids! We never have! I just made it my goal to do it this year!

Shannon said...

Kidless? I cannot believe it! I agree, Vegas isn't the best, but if you're watching BYU basketball with friends and having fun with Brett, then I'm sure it was great. Too bad they lost!

Karen said...

Fun for you guys! You're always welcome to make a getaway to the Heartland!

Hoenes Family said...

I didn't know you had never left Chase overnight! Hmmm. Is there a reason you never told me that? ;) Kidding. He really was fantastic. They both were. So glad you had such a fun and relaxing time. Sorry the sleeping in didn't work out..... I hope that wasn't my fault for texting you at 8:30 a.m. .... whoops.

alisquire said...

We had such a great time! Thanks for making it happen!

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

Congrats on numero 3! We saw that same Phantom play in Vegas. I love the music to that broadway but agree that it isnt my favorite story. Les Mes is def my favorite! Im so glad that you guys got to get away!

Karen said...

Kidless? It's hard to imagine...soo jealous!
Hey I think we were just a couple hours (or less?) from you! We were in St. George during that time.