I haven't done much blog reading or writing recently. It is just too busy this time of the year, but I am pausing this regularly scheduled holiday busyness to relate what just happened that made me so proud. It will show just how much of a nerd I am.
One show I actually really like Adie watching is Little Einsteins. We have it on On Demand, so there are 4 or 5 episodes she can watch at a time and they switch a couple out every month or so. If you haven't seen Little Einsteins, and there are probably a good number of you who haven't, you should know the basic premise is each episode is built around a particular piece of art (or art type), a piece of classical music and a geographical location, or sometimes multiple locations. I love Adie learning about art, music and geography. I know, I'm weird. Anyway, a couple of episodes that are no longer on On Demand featured "The William Tell Overture" by Rossini.
Fast forward to today...as I was changing Chase's diaper, I was humming "William Tell" (If you don't know what it is by name, look it up on YouTube or something and give it a quick listen. I promise you, you've heard it.). Adie says, "Hey, Little Einsteins!" I then ask her who the composer of the song is and she pauses for a moment to think and then says, "Rossini." Yes! My daughter is learning to distinguish classical music. I was so excited. I then ask her what the name of the song is. She needed a little prompting but was able to tell me that too. Then, about a minute later, she says, "Overture is all gone," because those episodes are no longer On Demand and she recognized that. I'm not claiming Adie's a brainiac since she seems to a little slower on that curve than some kids, but I am just happy she has taken to music so much.
My second musical brainwashing ploy is a success! Now, Adie not only loves the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, but she has an ear for classical music ;) I think maybe Santa will need to bring a Little Einsteins DVD to her.
9 comments:
That's awesome! I've always been so intrigued by just how into music she is!
I love how little ones can make connections like that. They are smarter than we realize!
Yay, Adie! That little girl loves her music. Gee, I wonder where she gets that from ;)
I'll admit, I saw a Little Einsteins DVD at the library a while back, and since you mentioned you liked it, I checked it out for Julia. And she LOVED it! It really is a good show.
Awesome! My girls all have loved Little Einsteins. Good stuff!
That is a great story! I would be a proud mama too!
That is really cool! Kids are amazing in what they learn. Way to go on having super awesome kidos!
Jessica started humming a couple of weeks ago. She's humming classical themes from Little Einsteins. It makes me so proud. Instrument Fairies is a cute episode.
Look into the Beethoven's Wig CDs in a few years. My boys love them and have learned a lot about different musicians and classical music. Each song is put to funny words that either tell you about the composer or the title of the piece or both. Even I like listening to them. Although, I have had them stuck in my head at 3 AM and that is annoying.
Sweet! I'm all about exposing (slash steering) Payson to music!
Post a Comment